Possible lonely rooster

FrankiesDucks

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2021
Hi everyone. I have 2 roosters that grew up together (Lavender Arucana and a Silkie). The pecking order has been established and my silkie is not allowed to go near my 6 hens. It is fine at night as they all sleep together. I am just worried that during the day, my silkie is lonely. He gets excited to see me but I can't spend all day with him. Is there anything I can do for him? We have 5 acres and ducks but I always see him in the same spots just existing and it makes me sad. Is he OK?

Hi everyone. I have 2 roosters that grew up together (Lavender Arucana and a Silkie). The pecking order has been established and my silkie is not allowed to go near my 6 hens. It is fine at night as they all sleep together. I am just worried that during the day, my silkie is lonely. He gets excited to see me but I can't spend all day with him. Is there anything I can do for him? We have 5 acres and ducks but I always see him in the same spots just existing and it makes me sad. Is he OK?
He might be lonely. He probably wants hens of his own. Can you get more hens for him? 6 hens aren't usually enough for 2 roosters.

He might be lonely. He probably wants hens of his own. Can you get more hens for him? 6 hens aren't usually enough for 2 roosters.
Thanks for replying 😊 we originally had 5 hens and were going to add more (not knowing they were boys). I'm worried if I get more hens, the other rooster will take them too. My partner is already annoyed that we have so many but still loves them. It is just the two of us, so with 8 chickens, 7 ducks and 3 cockatiels, I might be pushing my luck asking for more. Our silkie isn't great at wooing girls and just rips out feathers. We have caught him practising on leaves and feathers but he is no Fabio! Should I try to convince my partner to get 1 or 2 silkies for him?

I would imagine your other rooster will take any new girls you add since he's the dominant one.
Does the other rooster aggressively attack or drive him away from the flock during the day?

I would imagine your other rooster will take any new girls you add since he's the dominant one.
Does the other rooster aggressively attack or drive him away from the flock during the day?
That's what i thought. He just randomly chases him during the day. He doesn't jump on him or fight with him. Our Arucana does attack the ducks sometimes. I think he's just a bit of a bully. When I tell him off, chase him back or spray him with the hose, he tends to be calmer for a few days with the ducks. He still sneaks up on my Silkie though.

Would he do better if there was a fence between him and the others. That way he can be close to the girls but without the other rooster getting to him?
We have 3 extra roosters at the moment. They sidle up to the fence and 'hang out' near the girls. It seems to keep them happy.

You mentioned that the 2 roosters sleep together. My younger roosters are now starting to fight with each other, so I've separated them with fencing and currently they have their own temporary individual sleeping boxes. But I don't think its good for them to be sleeping on their own. I would like to put the 3 of them back together at night in their 'bachelor' pad.
Have you had any incidents between your roosters when they sleep together?

While there are exceptions from time to time, as a general rule if you want to keep multiple roosters you have to keep multiple pens.

Roosters rarely share well and they call it "cockfighting" for a reason.
I separated my 3 youngish roosters who started fighting. I've given them individual sleeping boxes and space, but they seem lonely. I'm thinking of housing them together again at night for more warmth, then separating them in the morning when I open up. Do you think they will fight in a dark house or when waking up from sleeping together?

Back
Top Bottom