Possible MG infection in flock, confused by research-cull or dont.

chicknadventure

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
southeast
I have about 25 birds, and I am moving in a month where I can't take them. I had some sick birds, that I eventually sent for necropsies. Out of the 4, one possibly had MG and I am waiting for the final results.

If this is positive, what do I do? From my research, it seems like MG is actually very common. Basically, if you show, attend auctions, order eggs, buy from someone who had a sick bird, or let your chickens free range, or don't keep them in a fully enclosed warehouse, they have been exposed to MG, and probably have it-as long as they stay healthy, you never know. Its only when something happens (like stress or parasites) that it rears its head (as long as they survived the initial infection-which most do)

As well, if they have been vaccinated against this, they are already carriers, and many people are unaware of that and think that the vaccination protects them from being carriers.

Anyway, I am now confused. I see some people shout cull cull cull and others that say Denegard if they are having issues or if egg production drops. Now, I can see that the air sac issues in regards to meat birds is a problem and I would NEVER sell to people who are eating their birds, but these are pet birds, not broilers.

I am not trying to justify making a buck-I am planning to give them to people who will love them. However, I would not knowingly do something terrible to someones flock. All of my birds have been healthy and happy except the 4 I culled-and 3 of those were originally from the same farm, same breed and same bloodlines, which makes me think they had poor immune systems. None of my other birds were affected and I culled all the ones with sniffly noses.

Thank you in advance for any advice. I greatly appreciate it.

I sorry you are having these issues. Their are many opinions on this situation. Yes..culling would be the safest bet unless you have someone with no other chickens that would be willing to take them...with them knowing full well of their exposure.MG is a very difficult illness. You.can cull all your birds..start over from MG free flocks...but then wild.birds...or your shoes or cloths or vehicle can bring it back. Their are no answers....just personal choices.

I sorry you are having these issues. Their are many opinions on this situation. Yes..culling would be the safest bet unless you have someone with no other chickens that would be willing to take them...with them knowing full well of their exposure.MG is a very difficult illness. You.can cull all your birds..start over from MG free flocks...but then wild.birds...or your shoes or cloths or vehicle can bring it back. Their are no answers....just personal choices.
x2

Back
Top Bottom