Possible mild frostbite?

Rosieposie6

Chirping
Dec 3, 2023
Howdy everyone so I’m wondering if my hen has a bit of frostbite on the tip of comb. I tried to attach a few photos of it. Could just be other chickens pecking at it but here in Michigan we are getting 15 and below temps lots of snow wind etc. I also put in a few pictures of their coop it’s pretty clean I’m trying to pickup droppings from their nesting area cause it’s made up of mostly water but not too clean cause I’m doing the deep litter method. Should I leave the little window open at night to let ventilation in so it’s not too moist in there? That little window is right above where they sleep at night…Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5601.jpeg
    IMG_5601.jpeg
    446.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5594.jpeg
    IMG_5594.jpeg
    483.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5580.jpeg
    IMG_5580.jpeg
    404.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5582.jpeg
    IMG_5582.jpeg
    587.2 KB · Views: 18
I live in SW neb and I leave ventilation way above their heads open, you would not want cold wind right on them at night. If their combs freeze a little bit will just scab and fall off on their own. ( A lot of us have lost a few points on combs through the years) . If ventilation would be higher I'd leave it alone.
I'm trying to understand how nesting area is mostly water? Idk.

Howdy everyone so I’m wondering if my hen has a bit of frostbite on the tip of comb. I tried to attach a few photos of it. Could just be other chickens pecking at it but here in Michigan we are getting 15 and below temps lots of snow wind etc. I also put in a few pictures of their coop it’s pretty clean I’m trying to pickup droppings from their nesting area cause it’s made up of mostly water but not too clean cause I’m doing the deep litter method. Should I leave the little window open at night to let ventilation in so it’s not too moist in there? That little window is right above where they sleep at night…Thoughts?
It does look like a bit of nip.
How far above their heads is that window?
Coop looks small, can you take pics from farther back?
How many birds in there?

Warm the comb with a warm damp cloth for 15 minutes or less because it is not threatening at all
Not a good idea...please stop telling people that.

How many birds in there?

Would you explain why it's not? Never heard it before and am curious.

Woah....take a breath there Bob.

Applying anything damp to a cold comb increases heat loss (ever had wet hands in 0°F temps...yeah it's like that).
Touching frost bitten flesh often causes the outer layers to fall off and the now exposed flesh to bleed. Chicken combs and wattles bleed profusely when injured.

As far as professional chicken vets....those are few and far between. I will trust the experience of the BYC long term members any day before I go trusting Google.

Last edited:
Woah....take a breath there Bob.

Applying anything damp to a cold comb increases heat loss (ever had wet hands in 0°F temps...yeah it's like that).
Touching frost bitten flesh often causes the outer layers to fall off and the now exposed flesh to bleed. Chicken combs and wattles bleed profusely when injured.

As far as professional chicken vets....those are few and far between. I will trust the experience of the BYC long term members any day before I go trusting Google.
I do not trust google never have. Many websites I do not trust. I shouldn’t of argued and taken to far. I left out a few bits in my reply. The room should be slowly warmed before applying it. It’s off knowledge. I used websites as backup. Can you please remove my reply you quoted please.

I have four chickens currently and two ducks.

I currently have four hens and two ducks but their coop is connected to a big run, the windows are maybe 3 feet not even above their nest that’s why I’m worried if their too close to their heads to leave open at night!

I’
I live in SW neb and I leave ventilation way above their heads open, you would not want cold wind right on them at night. If their combs freeze a little bit will just scab and fall off on their own. ( A lot of us have lost a few points on combs through the years) . If ventilation would be higher I'd leave it alone.
I'm trying to understand how nesting area is mostly water? Idk.
I meant their poop is made up mostly of water sorry. Yea just trying to figure out if I should close them at night or leave them open since they aren’t that far from their heads

How many birds in there?

Attachments

• IMG_5661.jpeg
    IMG_5661.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5662.jpeg
    IMG_5662.jpeg
    358.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom