Possible Orpingtons - need help identifying

Bugmom16

Chirping
Jun 17, 2019
We bought some chickens off Facebook but they don't seem like what they were identified as:
  • 1 female & 1 male blue buff columbian orpington
  • 1 female & 1 male cuckoo orpington
  • 1 male cream legbar (not pictured because we figured him out)
  • 1 female & 1 male mauve/chocolate/black orpington
We have more males than females and we cannot figure them all out. We are trying to see if we can breed true but we need to know what we have. These others - just not familiar enough with the breeds to know.
  • 20190617_195543_008_01.jpg
    Possible Cockerel Cuckoo Orpington
    20190617_195421.jpg
    Pullet Cuckoo orpington
    20190617_195002.jpg
    Pullet Blue Buff?
    20190617_195653.jpg
    Mauve/chocolate/ Cockerel??
    20190617_195217.jpg
    no idea based on what they sent us in the description
    20190617_195015.jpg
    Cockerel Blue Buff?

Last edited:
How old are they? I think you have 2 cuckoo hens, and a white Orpington hen, and a chocolate rooster. The rest look like Orpingtons but I'm not familiar with the colors.
They are about 12-13 weeks old according to the woman we bought them from. One might be closer to 14 weeks old. They were "filler" birds in a group she bought so she didn't have the best information on what they were. She had a bunch more but had a predator come and kill the ones she really liked so she sold the rest to us. She was planning on trying to start again from a hatchery with the ones she wanted again.

Blue Cuckoo, female
Cuckoo, not positive on sex
Black, male & Buff Columbian female
Chocolate, male
White, female
Basically Buff Columbian "not the best color though", male
So you are saying the White is a female? The only reason why I ask is I saw "it" crowing. I know females can crow (or so I have heard) but I thought roo. I am ok being wrong...still a newbie.

They are about 12-13 weeks old according to the woman we bought them from. One might be closer to 14 weeks old. They were "filler" birds in a group she bought so she didn't have the best information on what they were. She had a bunch more but had a predator come and kill the ones she really liked so she sold the rest to us. She was planning on trying to start again from a hatchery with the ones she wanted again.
If that's their age I'm afraid I only see the buff Columbian as a pullet, and possibly the second cuckoo bird. Generally English Orpingtons mature very slow and pullets don't get red combs until 5-6 months. At least that has been my experiences. My chocolate hen got a bigger comb earlier than my buff pullet so that's why I'm on the fence about the one cuckoo.

So you are saying the White is a female? The only reason why I ask is I saw "it" crowing. I know females can crow (or so I have heard) but I thought roo. I am ok being wrong...still a newbie.

It could be a cockerel, its hard to say for sure with pure white birds. I think they are much older than you were told. I've raised English Orpingtons for years and they look more like 6-8 month old birds. However there is nothing for size comparison also.

Hens crowing is true. I think I might have one:
215D2495-520D-4141-BB96-CFB56CFB0A36.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom