Possible Problem with Neighbors cats

What about roosters?...that is an interesting thought.

Never lost a rooster. Had one get his neck torn up pretty bad but he healed up fine. He was a LF but light weight breed.
One of only two roosters ive ever had that i thought would actually fight to the death for his girls.
Seen a lot of posts about roosters that run off predators but my experience is that most will put up a good bluff but not to good at actually running off much. Usually a couple good thumps then they back off.
Then again i dont keep aggresive birds too long.

Hi I'm REALLY new, like made my account just a minute ago new, but seriously I own a outdoor, male, adult cat and want chickens, but need help for my run and have NO idea what I'm doing. PLEASE help me!

Hi I'm new here and I need some help, I want chickens but have a outdoor, male, adult cat and don't know what I'm gonna do about the run. Can someone please help me?

We moved to a house that has both "feral" and outdoor house cats in the neighborhood and our three full grown chickens free range all day. A few of these cats often visit our yard and the chickens will chase them, especially when I try to give the cats treats and the chickens want them instead. When we first moved in, about three years ago, there were two cats stalking them and would get inches away and look ready to pounce, but then do nothing. We were very nervous but curious what would happen. I don't see them stalking the chickens anymore. As I'm typing this I see two new kittens playing on the other side of the fence, but they don't seem to care about the chickens that are right next to them on my door step. Ugh, I have to go wash the poop off the step now before I hear about it.

I quoted feral because I can get sort of close to one of them, if I have treats. She will get about a few feet from me, but will tag me if I stick my hand out.

-CK

Quote:
With a properly constructed, 1/4" welded wire 5 sided run, which you will need to protect your flock from ALL predators anyway, the cat won't be a problem.

To kittenCuteness,
Don' t get them until you are ready. Unless you can keep them safe, you are sure to experience loss. We started with 6 pullets and inherited 12 chicks from the local elementary school. We have lost 4. Two during the day! The male cat probably won't be a problem. Traditionally female cats do the hunting. Good luck. My chickens are worth every bit of work I invest in them... and only one has just started laying. Still worth it!

To kittenCuteness,
Don' t get them until you are ready. Unless you can keep them safe, you are sure to experience loss. We started with 6 pullets and inherited 12 chicks from the local elementary school. We have lost 4. Two during the day! The male cat probably won't be a problem. Traditionally female cats do the hunting. Good luck. My chickens are worth every bit of work I invest in them... and only one has just started laying. Still worth it!
My female cat spends most of her days and all night hunting.
Strangely, she shows zero interest in my chickens. She'l walk past them barely looking at them but she'l catch wild birds.
My dog just wants to play with them but wont go near them or the coop unless I'm there with him.
At least he's smart enough to know better, cats are just stupid animals that do what they want.

I will assume that all of the persons asking questions have a fenced backyard where their hens "free-range"? As well as a lockable 5 sided run and a secure coop?

If so, the problem is not your hens, its the cats.

If the cats are truly feral, use a box trap to catch them and then take them to a shelter or otherwise dispose of them (but don't just drive them across town & let them loose).

If they are your neighbors cats, kindly inform them they need to keep your cats out of your backyard.
Then the next time you see the cats in your yard, call animal control or take them to the pound yourself.

Many cat owners have a misinformed/misguided impression that its ok to let their cats roam free, while holding a completely opposite view on their dogs.
Its baffling, especially in light of the billions of songbirds, small mammals and reptiles that cats kill each year in North America.

Back
Top Bottom