Possible Problem with Neighbors cats

Tell the neighbors that the cats are harassing your chickens and they need to keep them off your property. Then shoot the cats if they come back, really cat owners need to take responsibility for the little murderous creatures. If you cannot keep your cat in your house or on your property then you should not have a cat.

Tell the neighbors that the cats are harassing your chickens and they need to keep them off your property.  Then shoot the cats if they come back, really cat owners need to take responsibility for the little murderous creatures.  If you cannot keep your cat in your house or on your property then you should not have a cat.

And if you choose this route, hope your neighbors aren't the wacko type who will throw poison to your chickens.

And if you choose this route, hope your neighbors aren't the wacko type who will throw poison to your chickens.
Maybe I am being a bit harsh because I really cannot stand cats, my neighbors cat uses my yard as a sandbox, has sprayed my door and gets into my garage and walks on my cars. I do not plan on shooting it, but I am considering trapping it and bringing it to the pound. I doubt its chipped, they have already lost cats to the coyotes so I doubt they will even call the pound to look for it. My frustration lies in the self entitled idea that cats are cats and wander. BS they are pets and the absolute responsibility of the pet owners. I understand not wanting a stinky cat box and a grumpy cat in my house, therefore I will not have a cat.

I will assume that all of the persons asking questions have a fenced backyard where their hens "free-range"? As well as a lockable 5 sided run and a secure coop?

If so, the problem is not your hens, its the cats.

If the cats are truly feral, use a box trap to catch them and then take them to a shelter or otherwise dispose of them (but don't just drive them across town & let them loose).

If they are your neighbors cats, kindly inform them they need to keep your cats out of your backyard.
Then the next time you see the cats in your yard, call animal control or take them to the pound yourself.

Many cat owners have a misinformed/misguided impression that its ok to let their cats roam free, while holding a completely opposite view on their dogs.
Its baffling, especially in light of the billions of songbirds, small mammals and reptiles that cats kill each year in North America.
AMEN to that

If you are going to kill the predators make sure said never does not know you have done so. Of course if talking to the neighbor will work hey try that but when it fails they will have no reason to retaliate because cats get hit by cars and killed by dogs all the time it is not hard to protect your hens from any blow back. Cats can and will harm your chickens, some breeds of chicken will try to stand up for themselves others run and hide. A good rooster could certainly take on a cat but unless you intend to help the Rooster with the cat problem you are putting a big burden on his feathered shoulders. Best wishes.

I have some female cats in my yard that they stay actually in my yard and on my car not happy with that lol. I do have 4 beautiful young hybrids and I can tell you that they own the yard mate. Chooks won't let the cats on treats and other food that I share. We do pet them and talk with them a lot , Tinkerbell the youngest one even climbs the kitchen stairs as soon as she hears my voice and stays with us when we are in the yard. If you have your own cats and share the same attention to both animals you should be fine. The dog on the other hand he doesn't care but if the chooks go in his plate while he is eating he warns them that they can be seen as food so we don't let them near him. Built him a big pen he was a pain escaping anyway . I see it as funny that the chooks chase the cats, but they are mates when we are not looking and there is no food involved. Maybe cause down under :) ?

Back
Top Bottom