Possible to sex day old chicks by comb?

Cranman

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 2, 2010
Sanford NC
I have a hatch in process and so far 12 have left the 'bater for the brooder and we're starting to get a good look at them. I would swear that a couple look like roosters already because they seem to have a much more defined comb and also from posture and behavior. So my question is, on day 1 or even within a few minuites after hatching, is it possible to tell a rooster from a hen that early? I swear one chick burst put of the shell, stood right up and had that swagger instantly, while others layed just outside the shell and were spent...

depends on breed... but even though, it's not very accurate... when i got my cochin, the breeder told me i was taking 3 roo's and 5 hens... now there's only 1 roo and 7 hens... lol... and i even thought they were roo's...

Occasionally you can tell - but it's more on a case by case basis.. I had one pop out of the egg with a huge comb that was already getting pink! One I hatched today had a comb big enough to fold over. Pretty sure that one's a roo. As far as the rest of them? Nah, can't tell.
smile.png
)

Back
Top Bottom