Possibly early stage frostbite? But now above freezing

Penguingirl216

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2023
Hi all -
I think this could be early stage/ mild frostbite? See pictures. My copper rock maran (biggest comb of my flock) has a white, pale blistery comb in spots currently. I know last stage frostbite is black, but is this early stages? It has been teens to low 20s for the last 3+ days. I would move her to some place warmer but it is now currently above freezing and going to remain above freezing (mid to high 30s) and I don't want to shock her with too much heat/warmth. Going to get more precipitation tonight but she'll be in the dry coop. I also don't want to move her since I think she'd get more warmth being with the flock/ heat from 4 other hens. She is not being pecked at. I know there's controversy around vasoline, but would this be a good use of hen healer? Or should I really just leave it alone? All the hens are getting electrolytes now. I want to avoid infection so thought hen healer might be good for that but have also read not to touch if frostbite. I will also say that she's acting completely normal (eating, drinking, laying, scratching around). Thanks! Sorry if this replicates other similar posts!
IMG_2306.JPG
IMG_2312.JPG
IMG_2318.JPG
IMG_2314.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you! Super helpful! Is it ok that's she's still in the coop (at night, completely enclosed, ventilated) and in the run (covered)? Ive seen some things saying you want to wait till its 50 out / or they're healed, but if the fear is re-freezing and temperatures are above freezing (35) is it OK? Thanks!

Really it is best just to leave her be. It will scab up, and then the scab will fall off, and it will be healed. Sometimes the tips are shorter. But a lot of the time, even they heal back, after being at least partially black.

I will say, that I tend not to get frost bite in the real cold period, as in -15 below, but rather when it warms back up, everything thaws out, and then that night it gets cold again - that is when mine will get nipped.

But it is one of those cases where it looks worse than it is. Yours is a pretty mild case.

Mrs K

Hi -
Thank you all again for help on this! This group is so helpful!
I did end up also sending pictures to the vet that's seen a few of my chickens before and he prescribed a silver sulfadiazine ointment. It seems to be helping it heal quickly.

He recommended egg withdrawal / not eating the eggs while we're using the ointment and for 30 days after. I have a question on egg withdrawal - we are sure which eggs are being laid by the hen with frostbite. (1) I only have 5 hens and she is the only one where the breed lays darker brown eggs (copper maran) and we're only getting one egg a day that color; (2) I did the food coloring in the vent test and the darker brown eggs had blue marks. So, does it seem pretty safe to keep eating the eggs of the other chickens that are not getting the ointment? I'm trying to think of ways there might be some cross contamination to the other chickens or if it seems OK. I hate to throw away that many eggs. Thanks!

I hope someday I'll be more an expert and can help out others as much as people have helped me here!

So, does it seem pretty safe to keep eating the eggs of the other chickens that are not getting the ointment? I'm trying to think of ways there might be some cross contamination to the other chickens or if it seems OK.
Contamination shouldn't be an issue, it's an ointment being applied to one bird, as opposed to something being mixed into the drinking water for the whole flock.

It is also lower risk that she lays the darker eggs than if it were the other way around. Hens occasionally lay a much paler than usual egg but I don't think they randomly lay a much darker egg. This is different than the gradual lightening of eggshell color through the season.

Back
Top Bottom