Possibly Mislabeled Tractor Supply Chicks šŸ˜…

saltcircles

In the Brooder
May 4, 2020
Hey there!! This is honestly just going to be a fun guessing game. I got four chicks at my local Tractor Supply. I know, not the best place to get them but we wanted pullet chicks and TC was the only place nearby with them sexed and we just wanted a few. The minimum was four so I got one ā€œRustic Rockā€ whatever she ends up actually being, a White Leghorn, and two Easter Eggers. The Easter Eggers are our focus today because as soon as I got home with them I really started doubting thatā€™s what they are!!

The two EEs were both little yellow fluff balls. They were in a brooder with Golden Comets and those truly did look like GCs if Iā€™ve ever seen them. So all the yellow chicks were supposed to be Easter Eggers which I thought was weird but ignored. Some of the yellow chicks had a randomly placed black dot or three. The two I got were all yellow though.

A week later and the two EEs both still look exactly like the White Leghorn chick. All feathering on the wings so far is white (possibly super light yellow). The only thing making me doubt them all being Leghorns is that the brooder the Leghorns were in had no chicks with black dots.

The store had White Leghorn, Rustic Rock, Golden Comet, Easter Egger (šŸ™„), Smoky Pearl or something like that???, and one final straight run type that I canā€™t remember. Honestly if theyā€™re all white Leghorns thatā€™ll be fine because my rooster has a thing for light colored hens and I canā€™t keep him off my Lavender Orpington, so some other girls to spread the love to would be alright šŸ˜‚. The EEā€™s did cost a little extra though so if I didnā€™t actually get ā€œpremium pulletsā€ or Iā€™ve got straight run chicks Iā€™ll be a little upset.

I have some not so great pics but just give me yā€™allā€™s guesses. I really want to know what they could be based on some of the chicks having black spots. The black chick is the Rustic Rock whatever that is so ignore her. I have no clue which yellow chick is the Leghorn so šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

One final thing is that these have to be the least friendly chicks Iā€™ve ever had! My Easter Eggers last year were super playful and ready to climb up my arms but these guys run from me. Iā€™m working on earning their love but itā€™s never been this hard before lol. Iā€™ll probably go back to MyPetChicken next year, I had a wonderful experience with them last spring.
57FC05D3-CFA6-4A7D-87E1-E649B460DB90.jpeg
7005A955-1993-48F4-BC88-CCFD704F4E94.jpeg
63440735-CCB0-4270-9399-B94A70216702.jpeg
F6CF193D-C34B-4EE4-BEF1-AF24865C7B3E.jpeg

Honestly they all look like Leghorns to me. Some of the hatcheries breed their own strains for even better production and/or disease resistance or whatever and those will have black dots so it makes sense.

Oh my goodness. They ARE adorable, whatever they are. I have a similar problem. I was supposed to get two EEs, which I believe I did get. However, I also got 2 Barred Rocks, but one turned out to look and act VERY differently! He/she? is very dominate (but then again, so is my Aunt Juanita, :)! I don't know much about them, since they were my first flock. She doesn't look like a Rock Barred at all, but more like a Copper Moran? Maybe rooster EE???:D

Attachments

• IMG_4637.JPG
    IMG_4637.JPG
    428.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4655.JPG
    IMG_4655.JPG
    524.7 KB · Views: 28
Oh my goodness. They ARE adorable, whatever they are. I have a similar problem. I was supposed to get two EEs, which I believe I did get. However, I also got 2 Barred Rocks, but one turned out to look and act VERY differently! He/she? is very dominate (but then again, so is my Aunt Juanita, :)! I don't know much about them, since they were my first flock. She doesn't look like a Rock Barred at all, but more like a Copper Moran? Maybe rooster EE???:D
Pretty sure thatā€™s a Wyandotte, still learning my colors but Gold Laced, perhaps?

That is a pretty Gold Laced Wyandotte!

Not EEs, but California Whites makes sense. I believe it's a sexable white and barred cross, so that's why they have the dark spots, but the grow out into basically white hens, and good layers of white eggs. They would have more like a leghorn temperament tho, than an EE temperament, but they should be pullets.

That is very much a golden laced wyandotte. Very pretty, too.
Here's mine. Top nest box. She's 2, hatched an egg last year and adopted another. Independent minded sweetheart.
20230507_133746.jpg

Back
Top Bottom