Ayam-cemanilove

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2022
So unfortunately last night, before I went to lock the chicken coop, my chickens were attacked by a possum. I currently feel so guilty for what happened to them and not being there. We were able to capture the possum and checked the chickens. There were four hens that had dead and the rooster was injured trying to protect his ladies.

The problem with rooster is that he seems to be in shock and I’m afraid that something worse is wrong with him. He is standing on his own but won’t move unless he is touched or hears something. The only injuries that I found are some missing feathers and his comb was injured and bleeding. The main concern for me is that he will get worse and won’t eat or that he is inevitably going to die and I am prolonging his suffering. So if anyone has suggestions, recommendations, or questions please tell me.

No need to start another thread.

Please post some photos of the rooster and his injuries.

The wounds/injuries were not cleaned after the attack? I would flush/clean them now.
For eyes, flush with saline, remove any debris bubbles or pus. Apply an eye ointment like Terramycin or you can use triple antibiotic ointment in the eyes. Clean and flush the eyes several times a day.

If he's unable to see, then he can't stay hydrated. You'll need to syringe or tube fluids into him. Links below on how.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/
E06B0A9A-DABD-45AA-86C0-E4CCC0BCD90B.jpeg
C8672E19-8463-4E10-B379-AEF899243A8A.jpeg

862E9AD3-407B-4374-A975-422288959938.jpeg
42948E58-9F60-4CBF-A023-087DACAE1599.jpeg

Attachments

• 05EDA377-E5AB-40C0-8EA0-F540AB08C372.jpeg
    05EDA377-E5AB-40C0-8EA0-F540AB08C372.jpeg
    568.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 1A576C0D-6D4A-4211-AAF9-41723B4E6A13.jpeg
    1A576C0D-6D4A-4211-AAF9-41723B4E6A13.jpeg
    574.6 KB · Views: 2
He might need a little TLC. If you can bring him in and offer some electrolytes and scrambled egg or similar and warm him up (if cool in your area). Otherwise if you cant bring him in, offer the electrolytes and eggs to the whole group and just try and make sure he eats.

I would double check him again in the daylight for injuries. Sorry for the loss of your others

The wounds/injuries were not cleaned after the attack? I would flush/clean them now.
For eyes, flush with saline, remove any debris bubbles or pus. Apply an eye ointment like Terramycin or you can use triple antibiotic ointment in the eyes. Clean and flush the eyes several times a day.

If he's unable to see, then he can't stay hydrated. You'll need to syringe or tube fluids into him. Links below on how.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

I think you have gotten good advice from @WIchickMama. I would check him good in the daylight, especially where he lost feathers. We have really bad problems with possums here as well. I have only lost one hen, but have caught a large possum in the act of walking off with a chicken in its mouth. The chicken ended up being just fine, in shock that night but back with the flock without a problem the next day, no injuries. I have also had possums pull mouths full of feathers out of my chickens, especially the tail. I am so sorry about your hens, it sounds like you have a good rooster. He just needs to recover from battle unless you find more damage than missing feathers.
:frow Welcome from New Orleans and put out traps for those nasty possums!

Thanks for the advice! I flushed out his eyes and am working on cleaning the injuries better.
I shared some pictures of the injuries but if you want better pictures in some areas, just say.
I have one question though, should I use the eye ointment once or every time after I flush them?

Thank you!

Thanks for the advice! I flushed out his eyes and am working on cleaning the injuries better.
I shared some pictures of the injuries but if you want better pictures in some areas, just say.
I have one question though, should I use the eye ointment once or every time after I flush them?

Thank you!
Can you get some photos of what he looks like since you cleaned him up?

If you haven't done so, I would take some wetted qtips and wipe out his beak too. Take a look inside to make sure that's just dried blood and debris.

Is there a wound under his wing as well? If so, trim the feathers and flush out the wound, apply your ointment.

Keep tending to the eyes. Yes, apply ointment each time you flush.
Can you see if his ear has been injured too? I would keep ointment on his face.

Work on getting fluids into him. Electrolytes or warmed sugar water. A little plain water too. Once hydrated offer wet feed.

For this guy, since a Possum attacked, I would also consider giving antibiotics.
Are you in the US? If so, what state?
Depending on where you live...you may be able to find fish antibiotics (Amoxicillin) at stores like Tractor Supply. In a pinch, I would give him Penicillin which is found in the refrigerated section of TSC. If you have a relationship with a vet for another animal, sometimes they will write you a script. Let me know if you have anything on hand or if you can source meds.

Is it possible to take him to a vet? I have read about puncture wounds being very hard to see/find , and the vet can check for them and give him any needed meds.

He might need a little TLC. If you can bring him in and offer some electrolytes and scrambled egg or similar and warm him up (if cool in your area). Otherwise if you cant bring him in, offer the electrolytes and eggs to the whole group and just try and make sure he eats.

I would double check him again in the daylight for injuries. Sorry for the loss of your others
Thanks for the advise. I checked him over in the day light and he did seem to have been bleeding a little on one side of his head towards the back. And another problem that he has now is that his eyes are swollen shut.
I brought him inside and put him in a small pen with a heat lamp, food, and water. I gave him electrolytes, but he is unable(or refuses) to eat because he can’t see. So I was wondering do you have any advice on how to treat his eyes or do you think I should post another thread to see if anyone else has some suggestions?
Once again thanks for the advice!

Your Rooster really got beaten up. I am so sorry, I have never taken care of anything this bad at home. I guess I have been lucky, to be able to treat wounds at home, as they were not this bad. Perhaps you will need a vet to look at his eyes, among other things. :love

Back
Top Bottom