Possum attacks HELP!

Hatch in chicks

Songster
Mar 3, 2023
A possum has been eating young chickens and bantams. I think it is eating eggs too.
This rodent was sighted on my trail cam just last night. I have not been counting how many chickens he has eaten, around 10-12.
I need to get rid of this varmint before he eats/destroys all my chickens/ and chicken feed. Here is a picture of him looking for eggs and small chickens:mad:
IM_05997.JPG

the only thing not predator proof is the fencing (3\4). Could i put mesh or hardware cloth around the bottom of the fencing? If so, how tall of a roll do you think would work. plus i wanna get rid of him for good ❌

the only thing not predator proof is the fencing (3\4). Could i put mesh or hardware cloth around the bottom of the fencing? If so, how tall of a roll do you think would work. plus i wanna get rid of him for good ❌
O'possums are master climbers. You'd have to cover the entire run/coop wall with hardware cloth, top to bottom.

Use a live trap to catch that marsupial, and don't relocate it. Dispatch it.

I have regular nightly opossom visits and they kill any chickens they can and also they can enter if there is any possible way. I think killing the opossoms would be useless since there is an "unlimited" supply in the region.

But on the advice of locals I installed a low level "artistic" light bulb in the coop, the type that puts off a dim orangish colored light, and the opossoms never have bothered the hens in the coop again. (1 year now) This, even though the coop is still rather easy for a opossom to penetrate if it really wanted to.

But the light makes the rooster crow earlier.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom