Possums are Chicken Killers

BB107E46-5C9F-43F5-9C83-ABA36305CFC0.jpeg
Possums, raccoons do this. Kill for sport. Chickens must be licked up every night in a strong coop made of hardware cloth, NOT chicken wire. I knew this but got lax after I thought I killed all the possums and I gadn’t Seen one in a couple of years. This is sport killing. Got all my babies.

There is an adorable baby opossum that comes around my duck house and eats all of the leftover food, then leaves. He’s not much of an issue, I don’t even think it knows there are ducks in the house, he just comes for the food then leaves
They aren’t quite as cute when you find one that sank his teeth into the back end of a hen. Generally they aren’t much of an issue but they will kill birds especially small birds if they come across them. Peeping freshly hatched chicks will draw them in quick and they will eat every single baby. Plus they are usually full of worms. So your pet opossum isn’t all that harmless if he’s hanging around.

We had a possum coming onto the porch and into the garage after snacks/ scraps. Then I spotted him INSIDE the electric fence of my poultry yard...apparently he tree hopped until he could get to one with branches spanning into the yard. I gave him the benefit of the doubt hoping he was just coming for spilled food, until I had two evenings finding dead chickens (1 each night) with their crops and necks and breasts eaten out. One was my scissor beak polish (Crooked - who sometimes didn’t make it into the coop before the auto door shut) the other was a SLW with one blind eye (Madeye Moody - who would often roost on top of the house until I chased her off with a broom)...so both were probably easy pickings. Tonight, the possum met his maker at the business end of a shotgun. Sorry buddy, can’t risk it.

We had a possum coming onto the porch and into the garage after snacks/ scraps. Then I spotted him INSIDE the electric fence of my poultry yard...apparently he tree hopped until he could get to one with branches spanning into the yard. I gave him the benefit of the doubt
I'm so sorry for your loss and I am with you. My partner doesn't believe a 'possum could do any wrong. I will have to have a signed confession before she will believe otherwise.

Well like others said, they are opportunists. He came for the spilled crumble, and said “oh look that hen is tiny and can’t see diddly...just sitting on the ramp...perfect” and then “hm, another chicken dinner waiting for me, yum.”

Okay, so there was a HUGE opossum out behind the house last night. Well....HUGE as in bigger than the 15# dog that was worrying it into a corner but really didn't want to have to deal with those T E E T H !!!!

Aargh.

So....what is a person to do? How do I get rid of opossums? I think the chickens are safe in their coop and run, so I'm not too worried about them, but it's never certain, and it seems like this is the second or third time in the past month that the dogs have insisted that I get up out of bed in the middle of the night and "Do something about it"....

I don't have any guns, and I don't have the hand strength for a pistol anyway. I'm afraid if I set a trap I'll catch a dozen or so friendly cats. I'm wondering about something like a taser? Hmmmm....I just Googled them, and they are expensive....

Aargh....

Susan

Human trap. Then if you catch a kitty you can just let it go. If you catch something dangerous you just call animal control.

I’m sorry for all the lost feathered babies. We lost a wonderful Roo to one before it was even dark. When we got home I took the dogs out back for a potty and the went nuts immediately. They avenged our poor Roo. It wasn’t till after they killed it that I realized he had been beheaded. They have their place, eating ticks that spread disease. But an very strong run and coop for the night is a must.

I've found three possums in my coop so far! I have to start putting them in earlier I guess. Had one in there last night, by the time I got back with my gun he was gone! Damn pest! I have'nt lost any of my girls yet , thank goodness!
I don't think twice about shooting any critter that is a threat to my girls. Sorry. That's just the way I am.
Maybe I'll be able to get him tonight. I have the two old girls that can't get up on the roosting poles, they have to roost on a 4x4 on the ground. So I have to protect them!

Back
Top Bottom