Possums are Chicken Killers

We found ANOTHER possum inside our electric fence. He was snacking on my polish hen “Stupid”. She often didn’t make it into the coop before the auto door shut for the night. What really stinks is that I had been treating her for a bad eye and it was finally clearing up. :barnie Another clean shot, another possum meets his maker. Sigh.

We found ANOTHER possum inside our electric fence. He was snacking on my polish hen “Stupid”. She often didn’t make it into the coop before the auto door shut for the night. What really stinks is that I had been treating her for a bad eye and it was finally clearing up. :barnie Another clean shot, another possum meets his maker. Sigh.
Sorry for your loss. I am going to get a crossbow, you can't fire a gun where we will be.

Caught in the act :hit

Attachments

• through Orlando 1.25.2019 009.jpg
    through Orlando 1.25.2019 009.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 19
Okay, so there was a HUGE opossum out behind the house last night. Well....HUGE as in bigger than the 15# dog that was worrying it into a corner but really didn't want to have to deal with those T E E T H !!!!

Aargh.

So....what is a person to do? How do I get rid of opossums? I think the chickens are safe in their coop and run, so I'm not too worried about them, but it's never certain, and it seems like this is the second or third time in the past month that the dogs have insisted that I get up out of bed in the middle of the night and "Do something about it"....

I don't have any guns, and I don't have the hand strength for a pistol anyway. I'm afraid if I set a trap I'll catch a dozen or so friendly cats. I'm wondering about something like a taser? Hmmmm....I just Googled them, and they are expensive....

Aargh....

Susan
You need a gun. Just look what I am dealing with now!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    556.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    583.9 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    411.1 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    405.5 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    426.4 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    528 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    448.2 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    471.6 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    509.3 KB · Views: 13
Sorry for your loss. I am going to get a crossbow, you can't fire a gun where we will be.

Suggestion use judo heads. Anything sharp will go right through and no telling where it'll end up. Loose an arrow too. Also if it's at night get a red light with a pressure switch. I hunt them at night with my crossbow and the red light does not scare them it gives you time to shoot.

shopping (1).jpeg

Suggestion use judo heads. Anything sharp will go right through and no telling where it'll end up. Loose an arrow too. Also if it's at night get a red light with a pressure switch. I hunt them at night with my crossbow and the red light does not scare them it gives you time to shoot.
You can get those tips for crossbow bolts? Those are a great idea! I got some headlights to use for night fishing and I figure I'll use them for coop recon.

We had a problem with adult male possums; climbing up every single tree limb to hunt down our Muscovy ducks, about 30 feet up. Feathers got cut back, and we spend half an hour each night making sure no ducks or chickens are left outside the coops.

They don't have those teeth to suck eggs, folks!

Back
Top Bottom