Possums are Chicken Killers

We have possums living in the woods here, along with raccoons and everything else that normally lives in a woods. They haven't been a problem for us. We don't keep animal or chicken feed out in the yard at night. The coop is sturdy and the chickens are locked up every night. That seems to avoid any problem. We don't trap them or bait them, to shoot them. We just keep them locked out of the chicken coop at night. So, that's an option for people that want to handle their situation that way.

They can kill chickens, but will often just eat their food, too. I think their age and other food supplies contribute to how big a threat any particular individual is. I think the young ones are more apt to just eat the feed. If they aren't cornered and aren't defending a food source, they usually just prefer to waddle off into the woods when we come across one, here. They can waddle pretty fast!

Hi,

I live right in the city and have 2 back yard chickens. Last night the hens were in a uproar so we went out to see what was up. I expected to see a snake but found a possum staring at me from on top of the tarp on my chicken coop. I thought he might be after eggs but from reading these posts it says they kill chickens. I hope he doesn't come back. Any advice?

Blessings,
ghettochicken

36435_possum.jpg

This morning our dogs cornered a mama opossum w/ babies on her back. My concern is my chickens w/ try to bother her. She hasn't waddled out of the yard yet. Unfortunately the neighbor behind us feeds all the neighborhood cats, raccoons, squirrels, everything. Hopefully that food will be more tempting then my chooks.

we used to have a possum come on the porch and eat the food left for the cat (this was before we got chickens)......I thought it was one....well after we got the chicks....i think my husband killed 20 possum in a two week period....granted some of them were babies but have not seen one since.....if there are any out there they stay away now
celebrate.gif
I didn't want to take the chance of them getting to the chickens.

According to the dogs the opossum is gone. But I think I'll leave the chooks in their run for a while. I've been reading up on them & I guess they will eat mice & rats. I'm sure the neighbors food is much more tempting & easy to get to though.

Wait a minute!

Did I understand your post correctly that opossems eat mice and rats????
ep.gif

That might explain why this one keeps visiting the areas behind my neigbor's shed where I have seen rats long before I got my chickens!
th.gif

My neighbor swears there is nothing feed wise in this area. So the only thing I can think of is that it offers "living" spaces for the rats! He is an urban scrapper, and collects stuff until he makes a run for the money to the recyclers.

I too have oppossums and racoons around. There have been occasional oppossums that wander up on the porch to eat leftover cat food. I am not much for killing wildlife unless I have to and so far it has not been a problem. My cats steer clear of them if they are on the porch. Only close call was my daughter went to pet a cat after she came bounding up the steps...only it wasn't a cat. Not sure who was more surprised the possum or the kid!
sharon

Last edited:
Quote:
Same here. Only difference is the outside cats seem to be friends with the possums and raccoons.
This is kind of an old thread, and the pic in rooster red's post on page 2 would have been him hand catching possums on his deck. I always thought that was kind of cool.
2 nights ago I had the most recent possum on my deck cleaning up after the cats, when I walked outside. He stuck his head under a plant pot and played possum. One of the cats went up and sniffed its tail, so I got brave and tweaked it's tip. I was expecting it to be cold and tough, but it felt like butter soft warm leather. Several years ago I had the chance to pet a "pet" possum. It's fur was kitten soft. Now if it wasn't for those teeth.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom