Post-broody diarrhea?

Red Horse

Songster
May 16, 2022
My hen who was broody for almost a month graciously accepted the hatchery chicks I shoved under her in the middle of the night a little over a week ago. She and the chicks are the picture of health... she has her color back and is doing an excellent job.

However, I've noticed she has had very runny diarrhea since she got back up and about. Is it normal for a hen to have this issue after eating very little for a month, or should I be concerned? I haven't tried giving her any probiotic or anything yet.

She is in a small coop with only the chicks about 20 feet from the rest of the flock. The only stressful time for her seems like bedtime... she can't get them all to go into the coop at once and typically gives up and lays with them at the bottom of the ramp (they go in and out of the coop all day exploring, they can totally go up to bed on their own).

The high protein of chick feed can cause diarrhea in the broody hen as her reduced metabolism is overwhelmed at first.

You can give her some milk thistle which helps the liver to adjust and worl normally again.
Moro carrot soup would help as well to balance the gut.

Did you deworm her lately?

The high protein of chick feed can cause diarrhea in the broody hen as her reduced metabolism is overwhelmed at first.

You can give her some milk thistle which helps the liver to adjust and worl normally again.
Moro carrot soup would help as well to balance the gut.

Did you deworm her lately?
No change in feed for her, they're all on flock raiser. I have not dewormed either.

Back
Top Bottom