Post Phoenix Pics Please

Pics
Quote:
Oooo If any of the Onagadori Forum people see what you wrote there they would be sending you to the gallows, LOL. There can't be American Onagadori, I know that's want the a couple of the people that are working with decendants of the few Onag roosters that the Japanese gave to the US years ago and probably have the closest things we can get to Onags here in the Us, but Onagadori are solely a Japanese breed, bred only but the Japanese, protected by their government, and illegal to export out of Japan. So the name Onagadori really shouldn't be associated with any bird other than the true Japanese Ongadori. I really don't know what these project birds from Onag desendants should correctly be called, but there was an Onagdori thread on here one time and Tommy posted sometime on there, he has these project birds, but people from the Onag forum saw it and spent an entire night on here fussing and fighting until the thread finally got locked.

So long story short, you should just call him a phoenix or lontail fowl, he does look awesome though.

Last edited:
Yeah, I hate how people can't even talk about what type to strive for without getting all hot and bothered about semantics. I know we don't really have pure onagadori here, but we are coming onto a long tail fowl all our own. Those guys get all fired up, its silly really, but it's also good the same people care enough to be selective in the breeding.

Also, seems ridiculous to have americans on an onagadori devoted forum when they are refuting that they exist here. We all know the history and the poor stock we have to work it, I wish they would stop beating a dead horse. Preaching to the choir though.
smile.png

Quote:
He is a Phoenix.

Oh and i love his tail.
edited , got my breeds wrong, lol sorry, i was thinking of the yoko's.

Last edited:
Quote:
He is a Phoenix.
Onagadori's have a different comb type.

Oh and i love his tail.

What do you mean ? Onags and Phoenix both have single combs.

I have noticed the onags are supposed to have 5, my boy has 7. The japanese onag's do seem fleshier red, like a Chabo. But honestly in birds like these there are just too many genes to select for to get them all right. I think poor combs are the biggest fault in my trio of otherwise very good birds. My hen has one point that goes sideways.

Quote:
Kelpie,

What you have is a good looking BBRed Phoenix. The "American Onagadori" is only termed by myself and Mr. Hyde so unless its from either of ours, its really not "American Onagadori" or anything related because you can't trace the source back. I agree on you about folks who wouldn't stop beating on a dead horse but hey, its life. Nevertheless, you have such a beautiful healthy bird. Congrats!
thumbsup.gif

- Tommy

Quote:
He is a Phoenix.
Onagadori's have a different comb type.

Oh and i love his tail.

What do you mean ? Onags and Phoenix both have single combs.

Rareroo,

Of course...either one should have just a single comb. Just some variations have large combs than others : )

- Tommy

Quote:
Aubrey,

Correct. Only the true Onagadori have the on-going nm gene unlike the ones we have to work with here in the US. Their nm gene is very variable and most of it is just heavy imbreeding, etc...

- Tommy

Back
Top Bottom