Post Pics of your Leghorns

Pics
What are you feeding them ?
I would suggest something that is differrent that is not (as we say) politically correct ......... i have found this to really produce the eggs and keep your birds healthy , robust and give them a longer happier life !!! That is by feeding a very good "chick start & grow" from the start till they are old and gray .... making sure it has animal and/or fish protein & fat ................. and that it is made with good whole grain and seeds (of course it will be ground)peanut meal would be great. .
We don't want a lot of alfalfa meal in it( just a SMAll amount) don't need a lot of soybean meal and no need of ground cardboard like some of the popular ones contain (you can see it in the feed) iiiit does not have a feed/grain/supplement smell .
I'm lucky that i have a local feed meal that makes this good kind of feed (Harrel Milling Company=south AAlabama)
You can feed this in a wet mix also not wetting more than you need .

I feed the start&grow one day(you could feed it every day if you wanted)
the second day i feed a mixture of whole grains & seeds along with boiled beef liver & hearts or inexpensive groundbeef (chickens are crazy about it)
i use oats , wheat , corn (these are easy to get in our area-if you have other grains then use them), peas i use because i have them for my pigeon mix) also i use black oil sunflower seeds(BOSS) , also small amt of sunflower hearts , small amt of safflower seeds , peanuts(ok if broken pieces) , small amt of flax seeds , millet-canary seeds, and one could use a BIT OF quaLITY DOG FOOD inn thismix (please forgive me i have parkinsons and it is taking its toll on me) dog food that has Meat meal , lamb meal, pork meal as first ingredient ( iuse one that is 24% Protein & 20% Fat) fat is as important as protein . You want it with NO Soybeans ,
It would be OK if one wanted to feed this everyday...........
but i like to rotate the two day after day

hope this helps
shannon
so..My leghorns have yet to lay eggs, and they are 18 weeks. They have been sitting on the nests where the other chickenshave been laying for about 2 hours now. I collected the others eggs already. could they be going broody at 18 weeks? or getting ready to lay? we have 2 nests.

shes sitting on the nest in the back...got photobombed.

My new Brown Leghorn chick is sexed as a girl. She is about a week older than the other chicks, so her name became Bossy right away!

I just received 13 chicks from MPC last week and it was supposed to contain one brown leghorn. Bu tI ended up with two that look just like yours. Could the other one be an Easter egger, which I also ordered? I actually ordered 3 EEs. Confusing to figure out.

My new Brown Leghorn chick is sexed as a girl. She is about a week older than the other chicks, so her name became Bossy right away!

I just received 13 chicks from MPC last week and it was supposed to contain one brown leghorn. Bu tI ended up with two that look just like yours. Could the other one be an Easter egger, which I also ordered? I actually ordered 3 EEs. Confusing to figure out.
Anyone? I just lost one that looked like this one at 7 days old. She just never grew. Thankfully the remaining chicks are vigorous and happy.

[/IMG] could someone help me I'm being told my leghorn is a hen but it has small spurs what do you guys think .

Last edited:
[/IMG] could someone help me I'm being told my leghorn is a hen but it has small spurs what do you guys think .

That is a hen, some develop a small bump that can be tought of as a spur

There is a breed ( jersey giant ) I believe she has spurs bigger than most rooster
I could not believe my eyes when I seem it

Beautiful Chickens !!! i love your rooster and the light red hens (new hampshire reds ?).
You should have some beautiful great layers out of this cross and of course a few pure white leghorns from the Dora WL hen .
Shannon
PS; i love your pens , your complete setup is great .

This is Diego, who actually started his lif as "Tasha" when we bought him last Easter.

And here is Dora, my little egg machine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom