Post Pics of your Leghorns

I just got my first ever leghorn chick, and she is so sassy and cute! She is already bossy, and will push the other chicks around until her adoptive mamma silkie scolds her. Since I am new to the breed any advice would be greatly appreciated!

To me he looks great! The tail is a bit small.
What do do you think is wrong with him?

I would like a better tail set/angle. Maybe I do like the rest of him. Hummmmmmm. He is super flighty. I am rather tempted to hatch out 20 of them, and see how they do free ranging. I think they are the type that might do well and survive. Might never find their eggs though. They are MUCH more wild than my production White Leghorns or my RC White Leghorns.

I just got my first ever leghorn chick, and she is so sassy and cute! She is already bossy, and will push the other chicks around until her adoptive mamma silkie scolds her. Since I am new to the breed any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ultra cute chicki! Is she a Pearl White Leghorn? If so, she will grow into a sweet egg laying machine! :D

They are a definitely a handsome pair, but not perfectly to SOP (but then what birds are?)

Anyway, a perfect male would have the wings horizontal and more of a swoop to the back.

This is what you want to aim for:

KPlumerMLBTRedLeghorn.jpg

See how marvelously his back swoops? My roosters have a much flatter back, and a very low tail. The Rooster's tail is supposed to be at a 45 degree angle, and the hen's at 40 degrees.

His wing is clipped that's why it look funny I have to keep him out of the trees he won't come down and here they are only a few months old not all feathers were in yet . See the white feathers on his back they are not done yet. He is still getting feathers . He's not perfect but very pretty.

Of my RC Leghorns, the whites got 'red in the face' (so reached point of lay) MUCH earlier than the dark browns. This makes me worry that maybe the Dark Browns will be a flop in egg laying.
I too was trying to compare breeds with my first flock, and got 5 RC Brown Leghorns from McMurray. Three of them turned very red in face by 19 weeks, but now at 22 weeks, I am still getting very few white eggs. Maybe one every 3 days (from all 5 birds combined). My Barred Rocks and New Hampshires of the same age are almost all laying regularly now. I do free range the birds, and I'm thinking they are laying outside somewhere, but have watched and searched and found no evidence of that (yet). Is it possible they turned bright red 3 weeks ago and still aren't laying or not laying very much yet? The couple that I've checked pelvic bone width on don't seem as widely spread as the Barred Rocks of NH - no a full 2 fingers even. But they are such small birds compared to the others.

Last edited:
I have three leghorns. Here's one of my girls, Jameson. She's always acting like she's starving and likes to jump up on their feeder when I'm carrying into their run. It keeps feeding chores very interesting. I couldn't resist captioning it...

Back
Top Bottom