Post Pics of your Leghorns

nope, rose comb is dominant.... so if they carry a rose comb gene, then they have a rose comb

since they have single combs, there is no other comb gene hiding, single comb only shows up in the absence of any other comb gene

nope, rose comb is dominant.... so if they carry a rose comb gene, then they have a rose comb

since they have single combs, there is no other comb gene hiding, single comb only shows up in the absence of any other comb gene
ouch... That just sucks. Maybe breed the females back to the male again along with the mothers, more chances to get a rose comb?

Well, I can't decide what I want to do....

I can breed my rooster to the single comb leghorns, and I should get 50% rose comb chicks...

or, I can just take out the single comb girls, and breed only my rose combs together.... fingers crossed that my rose comb girls are mostly homozygous for rose comb, so few if any single comb chicks should pop up.

actually, usually when you breed brown with white, you end up with some kind of pyle (a white bird with some red wash to the feathers, on a female usually on the breast, on the male, usually on the back and neck, or something like that).

I was crossing my super high production white single comb leghorns, with my very pretty and better health/longevity but not as good layers dark brown rose comb Leghorn rooster...............and am SUPER bummed

I would have been happy with any leghorn with a rose comb, and BOTH chicks have single combs.... so that means that my rooster is HETERO not HOMOzygous for rose comb, and I want to throw a fit and scream, tear my hair out, etc.

Rose comb is dominant.... so anything that I bred to my rose comb rooster should have hatched rose comb...... but it didn't.... anyway

I am just super bummed.

So, what might I get if I breed my Light Brown roo with my Exchequer hen?

Quote: Maybe like light brown under color with white and black flecks. That would be amazing.

Well, I can't decide what I want to do....

I can breed my rooster to the single comb leghorns, and I should get 50% rose comb chicks...

or, I can just take out the single comb girls, and breed only my rose combs together.... fingers crossed that my rose comb girls are mostly homozygous for rose comb, so few if any single comb chicks should pop up.
good luck. Any way to tell if they're homozgous or not?

nope.. have to test mate..

BUT I have now committed to spending lots of money and getting eggs from a breeder with HOMOzygous for rose comb dark brown leghorn and white leghorns..

I am super excited!

Back
Top Bottom