Post Pics of your Leghorns

My brown leghorn is aggressive towards some of my hens. I've already had to part with half my flock. What can I do to stop this? He was an EXTREMELY expensive rooster!!
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. A little more info would help.

I'm guessing that you purchased a brown leghorn rooster and he's aggressive with mounting hens?

Why did you have to part with half of your flock?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. A little more info would help.

I'm guessing that you purchased a brown leghorn rooster and he's aggressive with mounting hens?

Why did you have to part with half of your flock?

I purchased an expensive rooster. When we got him he was very nurvous and just pacing roughly on the sides of the coop, once he calmed down in a few days, he begun chasing my hens and pecking their heads. He would eventually jump up and kick his legs up while holding onto neck feathers. He also isn't a proper breeder. He has to mount and get ready with like 5 hens before he does his job and even then only 3 hens are having fertile eggs and I don't think they are actually fertile due to the fact the bulls eye goes away off and on. So after the downsize in hopes it will help both situations, he has begun chasing a few hens, especially my white leghorn hen, agressively. He will do this untill I go out there and break it up. He will chase her to no end, peck at her and grab her jump up and kick in towards her. He was severely expensive so I have been trying to work with things and figure things out, but the chasing isn't as bad, but aggression is worse and still horrible with breeding and he will attack and forcibly breed new hens/hens that have been seperated then put back in

Just how old is he?

Maybe he will calm down with age?

I would experiment... Maybe lock him up with only one female.... Sometimes seeing that there is only one girl, they calm down and mellow a bit.

Of course, if he is truly a freak, maybe locking him up with only one female will mean he kills the hen... So keep an eye on him.

Just how old is he?

Maybe he will calm down with age?

I would experiment... Maybe lock him up with only one female.... Sometimes seeing that there is only one girl, they calm down and mellow a bit.

Of course, if he is truly a freak, maybe locking him up with only one female will mean he kills the hen... So keep an eye on him.

I don't know to be honest. He is very head strong. He is fine with the hens that are easy to breed. Ones he's not, he will actually attack. He will push away from the flock, will chase away with food and water ect. He's started to really stand down when we're around and puff up his chest, but hasn't done anything yet. I know what to do with human agression, but not aggression to birds. He also will not breed just one bird. He can't get the job done.

this is chicken little my leghorn rooster. He's a cute funny lil guy, hes only maybe 6 months old and my leghorn hens kinds boss him around but he hangs out with my welsummers and does just fine.

Our white leghorn's comb is usually pretty big.I noticed yesterday that it has shrunken. It no longer flops over, and it is much smaller. It has turned white. Yesterday we got our first big snow Storm. Does the cold usually do that? Is this normal?

Our white leghorn's comb is usually pretty big.I noticed yesterday that it has shrunken. It no longer flops over, and it is much smaller. It has turned white. Yesterday we got our first big snow Storm. Does the cold usually do that? Is this normal?

Hummm...

No, that is not normal.

Often a lack of color in the comb means illness of some kind, or a high worm load.

It is normal for the comb to not be quite as big amd shiny in the cold winter.... But a radical color change might mean frostbite... Do you have enough ventilation?

I will go look at my leghorns and see what their combs look like today.

Hi lizardand chicks , the other time that this will happen is during molt. Not all the birds combs will shrink so drastically or pale drastically. That is why you will see different situations. Older birds and birds that are experiencing a hard (extreme) molt will shrink and lighten the most. Alaskan is right , that this will happen when they are sick or experiencing a worm load also.

what colour of legs and eyes do leghorns have?

I have 2 hatchery white leghorns. one has yellow legs and another white. one has sky blue eyes and another light brown. both of them lay huge white eggs.

Back
Top Bottom