Post Pics of your Leghorns

Thanks. When my grandmother passed and I was going through old drawings I did, I noticed most of the chickens looked like a silver laced leghorn if anything. When I was a teen, I wanted to combine lacing and the leghorn type but didn't have the knowledge of genetics back then to make it happen. Over the last few years I've been seeing all of the lovely leghorns over in Europe. They have such an amazing variety of colors and patterns including silver laced, gold laced, and blue laced gold. I figure if they can do it, why can't I. I wanted to make them LF but I already had a few of the 'ingredients' in bantam so I started on bantam first. Out of 60 chicks I got a great pair and a fair trio this season. Next year will be much better. Since the birds I kept back are all blue laced gold but carry mahogany, I should get the basic expression of blue with gold and red so gold laced will pop out too. Once I get the pattern refined and type a little better, I plan to make bantam silver laced next. Maybe in a few years they will be the base for making LF laced leghorns.
The blue light Browns are a side project of the blue laced reds. Some birds had no lacing but great type from the last batch so I figure it is a good start. I've got a friend working on making large fowl blue light browns too

Silver laced would be a big interest to me. Always like silver laced birds a lot.
Ive got too much going on right now to try to start up on those though. So maybe i'll set back and watch you go and be one of your first customers when you get there.
Ive seen so many pics of the leghorns over there also. We've gotta catch up. They have some stunning leghorns for sure.

Above are some project leghorn bantams. Top picture is my bantam Mille fleur hen with her cockerel from a light brown cock. There is also a pure light brown hen and a blue laced red project pullet.

I've been working on making single combed and rose combed blue laced red and also blue light brown leghorn bantams. So far so good. The cockerel has decent type and lacing. The BLR pullets have great pattern on the front half but nothing on the backs. The bottom pullet is more of a blue light brown with decent type but pattern needs refined

The BLR wyandottes I had once were horrid layers.

How do the BLR Legjorns lay?

So far they lay pretty good, much better than the pure light browns I used to help make them. Eggs are a decent size too, much larger than the other bantam chickens I have but body size is about the same as the other bantams

I will be bringing some Rhode Island Red cockerels to the Lake City, Florida show as well as Rhode Island Whites and some White Leghorn cockerels. I am looking for a White Leghorn cockerel and a Dark Brown either Rose Comb or Single Comb Leghorn cockerels..

Is that three different girls? Two rose comb and one single comb?

How are they doing for you?

nope just 2 one of each
wink.png
just took more pics of her!
and they aren't laying any eggs right now but none of the 7 are so....yeah!

Back
Top Bottom