Post Pics of your Leghorns

Ha!

Hard to tell them apart at that distance.

Can you share a photo of two side by side?

Didn't you get them from that snazzy longtime breeder....uh... H something?

I did get them from a breeder. I don't recall off hand who the RC Leghorn line is but the RC RIR is from a fellow Bob Andersen's line, not the same breeder as the Brown Leghorn aka Partridge Rocks came from. I do hope to show them. The father of the RC Brown Leghorns was a champion at a show. The breeder sent me a picture. It's hard to get a picture of them. I have tried but they don't want to cooperate. The Leghorns are more flighty and with the RIR chicks they get going and then the RIR chicks do too. The ear lobes aren't exactly white but you can tell they will be when they get a bit older.

I  did get them from a breeder. I don't recall off hand who the RC Leghorn line is but the RC RIR is from a fellow Bob Andersen's line, not the same breeder as the Brown Leghorn aka Partridge Rocks came from. I do hope to show them. The father of the RC Brown Leghorns was a champion at a show. The breeder sent me a picture. It's hard to get a picture of them. I have tried but they don't want to cooperate. The Leghorns are more flighty and with the RIR chicks they get going and then the RIR chicks do too. The ear lobes aren't exactly white but you can tell they will be when they get a bit older.

I find the dark brown Leghorns are my wildest. They calm down a tiny bit as they mature...but nit much.

Also, my dark brown do stay with that dark face pretty late. A big contrast with the whites that often "color up" so early that I start thinking that the girls are boys. :rolleyes:

I'll have to wait and see.
Its chocolate on extended black/wild type.

It looks a little like a dark brown chick....but different. Interesting.

More leghorn chicks

Single barred extended black/silver duckwing

Blacks

Chocolate pullet and black split to chocolate cockerel

Very nice!

So the first set... can you sex them now?

Shouldnt be able to.
Theyre from a cuckoo rooster over silver duckwing hens.
So all chicks get one barring gene. I need to get the second barring gene in the males before I can sex at hatch by head spots.
F1s so in theory the extended black from the cuckoo should hide the silver duckwing in the chicks. As you can see some of the duckwing pattern is showing through on this chick thats the faint stripes on its back. Others dont show any stripes but do have some of the eye stripe like a duckwing.
From following a different thread on here im learning theres a slight difference in how the eye stripe. Looks on males vs females. I believe its how they sex welsummers at hatch. Anyways im starting to watch that to see if it can be used to sex these and/or other project chicks im getting.
The next generation i'll be getting back to the pure silver duckwing pattern but with barring. I should have a lot better chance of being able to sex them.
The generation after that i'll be where i want with the project. Silver duckwing with single barred females and double barred males. Those will be autosexing.

Back
Top Bottom