Post Pics of your Leghorns

Pics
Quote:
I love that leghorn cross i had a hen last year but she wouldnt go in the coop and got taken by somethin

All I got this year was roos from my leg horn roo and ancona hen. I'll try next year for some pullets.

Weird i got mine from TSC they were selling them as ancona pullets but they are close to the coolest looking birds there are LOL

Okay here are a couple of pictures. I can't get any pics of the males yet as they are in a pen with about 30 other males and they are four breeds but all of them all black.

44197_img_0686.jpg

44197_img_0687.jpg

same black pullet on the ground. The bird in back isn't a leghorn.

I am in the process of putting my breeding pens together and am culling pretty hard. I went through about 30 pullets to keep maybe three. I believe in hatching only from the best and using the best, do compensation matings. The bird in the picture has good length of back and a nice tail even though the pics don't show it the best. Actually the worst thing on this bird is the legs need to be more yellow. They are a light yellow and I like the color to be a deep yellow although to get that, usually you have to sacrifice a little undercolor.

David

Rock N' Faverolles :

Okay here are a couple of pictures. I can't get any pics of the males yet as they are in a pen with about 30 other males and they are four breeds but all of them all black.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44197_img_0686.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44197_img_0687.jpg
same black pullet on the ground. The bird in back isn't a leghorn.

I am in the process of putting my breeding pens together and am culling pretty hard. I went through about 30 pullets to keep maybe three. I believe in hatching only from the best and using the best, do compensation matings. The bird in the picture has good length of back and a nice tail even though the pics don't show it the best. Actually the worst thing on this bird is the legs need to be more yellow. They are a light yellow and I like the color to be a deep yellow although to get that, usually you have to sacrifice a little undercolor.

David

WOW she is beautiful I have one Black Leghorn male that has good shape but he has black legs. I would get some pics of him but hes in the middle of a molt and he doesnt have any tail. I was told of a guy in Iowa that has top quality blacks but i havent gotten his name or contact info.​

Ha ha, I'm from Iowa, and although he's not talking about me, I know who you're talking about with the good black leghorns. He is a friend of mine. I actually plan on giving him a run for his money next year at the shows with these blacks I have. And I doubt you'll get any blacks off of him. He told me that him and show partner will not sell anything until they get master exhibitor with them. I'm going to have to tell him, he won't get that as long as I'm in the competition.
lol.png

In all honesty I think his males are better than mine this year, and the females are roughly the same. But we will have to wait to see what next year brings.

David

Quote:
Curtis Oakes is in New England I believe I dont know his contact info but he had an ad in the last Poultry Press and the APA yearbook.

Dan beautiful birds as usual. Is anybody going to be showing birds at the Ohio National? I missed the deadline but I am going to call and see if I could still enter my entries I will probably bring my bantam white leghorns.

Quote:
Curtis Oakes is in New England I believe I dont know his contact info but he had an ad in the last Poultry Press and the APA yearbook.

Curtis Oakes is in Pennsylvania and he no longer has the black varieties.

David

I just wanted to share - and brag a little - about what a good Mama my White Leghorn has been. She hatched out 7 out of 8 eggs, and has been great. She is free-ranging with them now, and if another chicken gets close and tries to peck her babies she gives them quite a beating! Here she is with them:

52854_sunshine_and_babies_066.jpg

Back
Top Bottom