Post Pics of your Leghorns

Pics
Rock N' Faverolles :

Quote:
Curtis Oakes is in New England I believe I dont know his contact info but he had an ad in the last Poultry Press and the APA yearbook.

Curtis Oakes is in Pennsylvania and he no longer has the black varieties.

David​

Oh ok i wasn't sure last I saw he had the black variety but that was a year ago.

Thanks Halo! And the babies are doing great! A few were acting quite "rooish" yesterday, jumping at eachother. It was cute. I'm hoping I'll be able to tell who's who before the chicken swap. Yesterday Sunshine dug and dug and dug for these little beatles she gave to all the babies. I couldn't believe those tiny babies could eat those big bugs! She must have spent an hour digging them all up for them! She's a very enthusiastic forager.

white-leghorn-pullet-8.jpg

Hope these make the cut for leghorns.

Those buff leghrons are something special so pure in color.
bob

This is a old strain of white Leghron Bantams going back to my childhood the fellow who started this line was Lenord Smith from Oregeon.

We got a trio of these birds ten years ago out of Idaho and have been breeding them for about four years at my house. More of a female line very thigh feathererd birds and the top line has the arch I like which I call the Schilling Sweep.

Shilling was one of the founders of the White Leghorn Bantams.

I showed six pullets at a show this past weekend washed them a week in advace showed a white plymouth rock bantam pullet did not wash her did not even give her the time of day. She beat her father, uncle brother and the six leghorn pullets for best siingle comb clean legged. Like the leghrons and can not to see the brown leghrons shown at Shawnee by Danny Feathers in a few months. He got a male from me three years ago and crossed him into his line and hit the jack pot. He thinks his best birds are his pullets. Great thread and a great heritage chickens that I dont know more people want to breed . bob

I've only recently gotten into White Leghorns. Was going to coach a 4-H Poultry Judging team and since that game is played with commercial birds I started casting about for some White Leghorns for the kids to practice with. I got these second hand but I think they originally came from Mt. Healthy. They are stone reliable layers. When they stop everyone else stopped a week before! They always look dirty because those gals like their dust baths! I have a nice White Leghorn rooster I'll breed them with come January. Try as I might I could not get a decent picture of him. My wife named him Cicero because she likes his crow.

picsay-1288618117.jpg

This is my one Brown Leghorn. He's a youngster hatched only this year, but if he makes it through to next fall I'll use him over some EE hens to clean up their egg color and hopefully boost production somewhat. I've got him in with the pullets until I can move out some of the older birds in the rooster pen so he won't get beaten up too badly when I move him in.

picsay-1288618402.jpg

Some of the White Leghorns I hatched with eggs originating from Pampered Pullet. The speckled birds are not pure so I won't be breeding from those, but the all white ones are developing nicely.

picsay-1288618821.jpg

And these are the cockerels from that same hatch. Making pretty fair sized birds for Leghorns. They're in a pen with some mixed EE cockerels and a few White Midget turkeys.

picsay-1288619258.jpg

I've also got some commercial birds originating from Ideal but could not get a decent photo of them.

My plan is not to hatch from any birds that have not completed at least one full laying cycle. I'm looking for not only production, but survivability and the Florida rainy season seems to be hard on these birds bred for high-intensity confinement operations. My grandmother used to keep a large flock of White Leghorns many years ago and that's what I'm trying to get back to. High producing birds with good survivability for Florida outdoors conditions.

Back
Top Bottom