Post Pics of your Leghorns

Pics
Wow these are looking good.This is a very nice variety of Leghorn.Keep working on them,you are doing a good job.It is not easy to improve Leghorn shape and color too,but progress will come if you persist.

Quote:
Thanks that means a lot. What would you recommend for the next steps. Should I just hatch from what, I think turns out the best, and work with them for a few years and then introduce white rocks for conformation or do something sooner? I rally respect your opinion thanks so much

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, I have Rose Comb LegHorns.... The Rooster in the pic is, the brown hen is SC obviously...
hmm.png

100264_img_0747_2.jpg

Cheryl,I would keep them going as they are with selection toward Leghorn type and feathering.If you want to run an experimental line along side using an outcross to another Leghorn variety,you can try it,but give it a few years to work and if you like it then you can try mixing the lines.Even then I would think it might be a good idea to keep the original line going,just in case the mixing does not work.It should work if you go slow.You are doing fine so far.

I will have to go through this thread since I havent posted in ages. I was at a swap a couple weeks back and saw a cage full of rose combed brown leghorns. The rooster was nasty and had a loped comb. One of the hens got out and I chased her around the parking lot for a few minutes, when I caught her I asked the guy jokingly if I could get a discount for catching her and he just gave her to me so now I have leghorns again! I dont think I will try to find a rooster, might breed her to the phoenix bantam rooster or the easter egger rooster just for some layer chicks or she could be the main dam of a new project I have brewing... I'll try to get some pics soon, she has a slightly pinched tail but the price was right
wink.png

Quote:
Wow this was awhile ago. My chicks are now 14 weeks this Saturday. We know who is a rooster now too. Sadly we had to give three roosters away. We kept one and kept the pulley. They are so much fun and beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom