Post Pics of your Leghorns

Pics
Here are some pics of my leghorns.

LF Silver pair, 100%German line(not his prettiest at the moment, completely messed up his tail when I moved him into their new home yesterday......)

LF Blue Breasted Red Pullet

LF Black Breasted Red Pullet

LF Buff Pullet

LF Buff Cockerel

I will try and get some better pics of the buffs, they are only 4 months old and his comb is not the best but they are all i got to work with in terms of LF Buffs.

Also will get some pics of the BBRed Roo, he is so pretty but sooooo not photogenic....

The Blue breasted Red Roo pics will have to wait a bit, he tore a ligament in his leg 2 months ago and it just didn't want to heal and kept getting infected so we amputated it above the infection. The healing process put him behind with developement but now that its done i penned him with some hens of his own he is filling/ growing out finally, he still looks rough so no pics until he is b-e-a-uuuutiful!!
big_smile.png

Very pretty, I'm wondering if these color varieties are more mild mannered. My mille fleur leghorns sure are. So curious they come up to me all the time!

I've noticed most stock bred for show are over all much calmer and better to handle. The Hens are all pretty calm, the roosters get a bit upset when caught but calm down quickly. One has to remember I don't show and therefor don't handle my birds all too much. For that they are awesome tame for legger.
With my Blacks I can pick up the rooster any time, he is an attention hog. He would be an awesome showbird cause he is very showy and loves being handled(if we had 4-h for poultry I would lend him to kids to show, he would love that attention) but has some faults that make him breeder quality.., he throws awesome quality chicks tho, and they got his temperament. Anyone want some super tame, cuddly 3 week old black leghorns
big_smile.png
. All roos I think ...... but gosh are they darling. no heatlamp for 2 weeks now, in the house and will do ANYTHING for mealworms!

Only ones I am working on very hard to calm down are the Buffs. The person I have mine from says the US line hens are absolute freaks and even tho the german line roo is very laid back but most of the offspring lean towards the hens character(thats why their pics were taken in my house, they got a 1 week force socialization to people
tongue.png
, still flighty but much better now ).

Here are some pics of my leghorns.

LF Silver pair, 100%German line(not his prettiest at the moment, completely messed up his tail when I moved him into their new home yesterday......)

LF Blue Breasted Red Pullet

LF Black Breasted Red Pullet

LF Buff Pullet

LF Buff Cockerel

I will try and get some better pics of the buffs, they are only 4 months old and his comb is not the best but they are all i got to work with in terms of LF Buffs.

Also will get some pics of the BBRed Roo, he is so pretty but sooooo not photogenic....

The Blue breasted Red Roo pics will have to wait a bit, he tore a ligament in his leg 2 months ago and it just didn't want to heal and kept getting infected so we amputated it above the infection. The healing process put him behind with developement but now that its done i penned him with some hens of his own he is filling/ growing out finally, he still looks rough so no pics until he is b-e-a-uuuutiful!!
big_smile.png

Your Silver roo is very handsome!

I'd love to see more pictures of your other males.

Fancyfowl4ever ,Do you have a picture of the German Buff Male?I would like to see what he is like. If he is calm,try mating him back to the pullets,it could help establish a nice disposition on your new line. Dan Honour

Fancyfowl4ever ,Do you have a picture of the German Buff Male?I would like to see what he is like. If he is calm,try mating him back to the pullets,it could help establish a nice disposition on your new line. Dan Honour

He is not my male the German Buff Rooster, he belongs to my friend at the west coast who imported all these birds. I use to have real nice pics on my cellphone from all his imports, I have to find a way to get them on my computer...... use to be able to email them from my phone but our new email program wont let me save the pics.

Out of his pair of buffs(german roo over american hen) he gave me 4 eggs to hatch since he didn't have luck hatching anything of theirs last year or had bad luck loosing the few chicks he did get chicks to predation. I hatched 2 chicks and yay they turned into a pair!

I've noticed most stock bred for show are over all much calmer and better to handle. The Hens are all pretty calm, the roosters get a bit upset when caught but calm down quickly. One has to remember I don't show and therefor don't handle my birds all too much. For that they are awesome tame for legger.
With my Blacks I can pick up the rooster any time, he is an attention hog. He would be an awesome showbird cause he is very showy and loves being handled(if we had 4-h for poultry I would lend him to kids to show, he would love that attention) but has some faults that make him breeder quality.., he throws awesome quality chicks tho, and they got his temperament. Anyone want some super tame, cuddly 3 week old black leghorns
big_smile.png
. All roos I think ...... but gosh are they darling. no heatlamp for 2 weeks now, in the house and will do ANYTHING for mealworms!

Only ones I am working on very hard to calm down are the Buffs. The person I have mine from says the US line hens are absolute freaks and even tho the german line roo is very laid back but most of the offspring lean towards the hens character(thats why their pics were taken in my house, they got a 1 week force socialization to people
tongue.png
, still flighty but much better now ).

Oh now I would love to see those blacks! I've been in the market for a few to help with a breeding project and they're so hard to find!

I recently purchased a pair of beautiful bantam whites, but I haven't gotten the chance to take any pics yet! But I definitely will once the weather breaks. Who else has bantys?

I'm breeding the mille fleur leghorns with stock from an east coast breeder and sandhill. Mine are young 2 1/2 - 5 months and I'll be culling out the white legs soon. Feather color and type is coming along pretty nicely, but the yellow legs are in the minority. These are a few that are getting culled. I'll try to get pictures later of the stock I end up keeping.

41441_mfl1.jpg

41441_mfl_71511.jpg

41441_mfl271511.jpg
Commenting on original post form 8/11. Wow, beautiful birds.

Back
Top Bottom