Post Pics of your Leghorns

Pics
Thank you very much! I was surprised to see McMurray offering other than White LHs and have toyed with the idea of ordering some next spring. Is type desired consistent across all colors, so the only difference between them is the coloration?
That is what makes a breed a breed. Without type, you just have a random chicken. If you have multiple varieties of leghorns, you should be able to take the silhouette of one and match it with the others.

That is what makes a breed a breed. Without type, you just have a random chicken. If you have multiple varieties of leghorns, you should be able to take the silhouette of one and match it with the others.

Okay good -and you said you were not particularly pleased with the type on the light browns you got from McMurray, correct? Are colors outcrossed for type or is it preferable to simply continue breeding best to best of the variety for improvement?

Well, are you after type or production more? In my experience with white, red, and brown leghorns from mcmurray, all tend to have pinched tails. If you want good looking leghorns from a hatchery type place, email Duane Urch ([email protected]) and ask him for a price list, he has some great looking stock that still produces a fair number of eggs, and he has rose combed varieties like white, black, and brown (forgot it it was light or dark)

You could just keep the best from each generation and breed them together and over time get there but if you could check out some of the shows in your area and even get a good show rooster to put on production hens it would help lots

Well, are you after type or production more? In my experience with white, red, and brown leghorns from mcmurray, all tend to have pinched tails. If you want good looking leghorns from a hatchery type place, email Duane Urch ([email protected]) and ask him for a price list, he has some great looking stock that still produces a fair number of eggs, and he has rose combed varieties like white, black, and brown (forgot it it was light or dark)

You could just keep the best from each generation and breed them together and over time get there but if you could check out some of the shows in your area and even get a good show rooster to put on production hens it would help lots

After both really, but type before production. I did email Duane just now, but if you know of breeders selling good foundation stock, especially anywhere near Colorado, I would appreciate any referrals you can make.

I am a rank novice when it comes to type in chickens. What would be the best resource for me to start with in terms of learning correct leghorn type?

The American Poultry Assocaition Standard of Perfection, you can buy them here http://amerpoultryassn.com/APA_ShoppingMall3.htm
After both really, but type before production. I did email Duane just now, but if you know of breeders selling good foundation stock, especially anywhere near Colorado, I would appreciate any referrals you can make.

I am a rank novice when it comes to type in chickens. What would be the best resource for me to start with in terms of learning correct leghorn type?

We have been working on self blue leghorns for years now and may release some chick's next spring here in the us.We have got they leg color and egg color correct just still working on type.her is a pic of a pair of juveniles from this year and it has been 6 years to get this,egg color is vibrant white just need another year or two crossing them back to the black split's before we will take them to the show's

We have been working on self blue leghorns for years now and may release some chick's next spring here in the us.We have got they leg color and egg color correct just still working on type.her is a pic of a pair of juveniles from this year and it has been 6 years to get this,egg color is vibrant white just need another year or two crossing them back to the black split's before we will take them to the show's

Oh my, how pretty! What process did you use to reach this coloration?

Back
Top Bottom