*Post pictures of your duck pen/coop!!* :)

And then on the one side of the shed we cut a door way so they can get in and out. It's on a pulley system so at night we can close them in.

Sorry for all the posts, keep forgetting to add things before I post. At the doorway for them we built a ramp and put shingles on it for them to be able to get in and out.

I read in a few places it is not wise to have heat lamps on the ducks. They are supposed to be able to handle the cold much below 30 degrees. It can also be a fire hazard. You might want to look into that some more. I almost did that too but decided we will let them sleep in our basement.

And then on the one side of the shed we cut a door way so they can get in and out. It's on a pulley system so at night we can close them in.

I read in a few places it is not wise to have heat lamps on the ducks. They are supposed to be able to handle the cold much below 30 degrees. It can also be a fire hazard. You might want to look into that some more. I almost did that too but decided we will let them sleep in our basement.
Honestly I think it hurts more than helps using heat inside houses, unless you have a breed like Runners which Amiga says they need additional warmth because of their slim bodies. She doesn't use heat though just keeps them where they are more comfy.

Ducks usually have their big molt in the fall to prepare for winter losing all the old feathers and down and getting new extra fluffy down and feather to help them thru winter. using supplemental heat seems it would keep them from going through the process right kinda like us keeping our dogs inside year round they don't need to get that huge thick coat to see them through winter. And ducks can take the cold as long as they have a shelter out of winter and the elements, mine have access to their house year round but even on brutal days prefer to be outside hunkered down and only go in at evening. A couple years ago a member lost her entire barn and animals to fire faulty electrical and I tell you I think that made an impact on everyone here at BYC. Not that I used heat but I did go out and by 12gauge extension cords for my heated buckets and bowls to make it safer.

Honestly I think it hurts more than helps using heat inside houses, unless you have a breed like Runners which Amiga says they need additional warmth because of their slim bodies. She doesn't use heat though just keeps them where they are more comfy.

Ducks usually have their big molt in the fall to prepare for winter losing all the old feathers and down and getting new extra fluffy down and feather to help them thru winter. using supplemental heat seems it would keep them from going through the process right kinda like us keeping our dogs inside year round they don't need to get that huge thick coat to see them  through winter. And ducks can take the cold as long as they have a shelter out of winter and the elements, mine have access to their house year round but even on brutal days prefer to be outside hunkered down and only go in at evening. A couple years ago a member lost her entire barn and animals to fire faulty electrical and I tell you I think that made an impact on everyone here at BYC. Not that I used heat but I did go out and by 12gauge extension cords for my heated buckets and bowls to make it safer.

I do have an Indian runner. This is my first winter and I've been trying to make sure I do everything right. I still need to get them set up with heated water. I might also get a heater for their small kiddie pool too.

Back
Top Bottom