*Post pictures of your duck pen/coop!!* :)

Our girls' little house and pen in the garden, although most of the time they're in my flower beds!
smile.png

Still got a couple of things to paint on the house then its finished!
They also have two other pools dotted around the garden. They seem happy.

That is so cute! my only question is ventilation? i cannot see the whole thing so possibly you have that covered, just making sure.. as ducks are very wet creatures even without food/water over night!

Does your set-up require it to be inside? i avoid some mess by ducks by most smaller coops NOT having food/water, i leave it outside, that way the inside is dry especially for our long cold winters.
I think I will be keeping the water and food outside - I purchased a warmer to keep the water from freezing. I am also putting in feeders for the run as well. That way it will keep the coop cleaner. So far it's been working!

That is so cute! my only question is ventilation? i cannot see the whole thing so possibly you have that covered, just making sure.. as ducks are very wet creatures even without food/water over night!

That house is so cute!

Thank you! :)

Yeh there's ventilation holes at the front and the back, and they seem quite happy in there. They're both regularly laying now too so I think they're doing ok! :) thanks again!

I love your little pen and house for them! Wondered what that is on the green rope? Toy?

This is our "duckshaw" that we built to raise a large group of pekins to market size last year. This year, it'll be for sending ducklings outside that are large enough to swim on their own.

It's made to be sprayed out daily and cleaned, then moved to a new patch of grass. It's had some adjustments made to it (the food hopper removed and replaced with a regular feeder that can be fully removed was one major adjustment). It worked great!

Here's another house we made last year. It opens from the top and is wired for a head lamp in the box area. Worked for my pet ducklings for a long time.

And the last house: We used this as a shelter for the nights or if a storm was coming in. It fits about 6 large ducks inside comfortably. We're converting it into a chicken coop on stilts surrounded with half buried wire and filled with straw as a base and a ramp that can be attached. We installed vents on the sides since this photo was taken too.

I want one large, cheap yet long lasting duck pen/chicken coop solution that we can DIY though, been looking at ideas lately. Love the ideas here for sure!

At the bottom of my coop page is my duck coop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-coop-journey

But here are two pictures.

After those pictures a raptor started hanging out, and killed one of my ducks. So, it being too late in the year to do a full snow-proof run cover, I added on a slapstick sort of porch to the coop. It isn't much space, but I only have one drake and two ducks in it. My other duck and all of her ducklings are now in my greenhouse.

Pinusresinosa I love your wagon and other little houses. What do you spray the flooring area with? I have a fully enclosed shed with a raised platform covered with chicken wire and topped with soft poultry netting so that my goose has no sharp edges or places where she can get Bumblefoot, etc. Straw covers the poultry netting. The underneath is a wood plank floor above the dirt, that I just sweep or rake daily and pressure wash down with a hose. But is there something that I apply that kills anything that could be growing in there, help to decompose the old waste and straw that I can't reach in the corners, etc.? Lime? I also read where cracked corn can be used to break down matter, but am not sure about that.....
Alaskan I love your little ante-room!

Kalsti, the bottom of the duckshaw is green treated plywood, with astroturf covering. It sprays out clean easily and is soft. I wanted to avoid litter all together in it, so that's what we did and it worked. In the spring, we'll pop it off and replace it with new turf before we use it again. Cheap and easy peasy. The whole thing opens from the top in all areas for great access, even the box in the back hinges open. Might work great down the road for isolated breeding- not sure yet.

Pinusresinosa I love your wagon and other little houses. What do you spray the flooring area with? I have a fully enclosed shed with a raised platform covered with chicken wire and topped with soft poultry netting so that my goose has no sharp edges or places where she can get Bumblefoot, etc. Straw covers the poultry netting. The underneath is a wood plank floor above the dirt, that I just sweep or rake daily and pressure wash down with a hose. But is there something that I apply that kills anything that could be growing in there, help to decompose the old waste and straw that I can't reach in the corners, etc.? Lime? I also read where cracked corn can be used to break down matter, but am not sure about that.....
Alaskan I love your little ante-room!

Underneath, I can't think of anything that would break it down faster- lime destroys soil (pet peeve of mine when people toss lime around like it's nothing without testing soil or knowing why they're doing it) if you use a lot. Might have to consider manually maybe once a week pulling it out and composting it elsewhere- would make great garden soil/amendment/mulch.

Back
Top Bottom