Post Prolapse surgery, stitch off, big poop, panting

sirenaspring

Chirping
May 1, 2022
Hi everyone, so I made a previous post about my chicken having a prolapse after an extraction of a bounded egg. So to backtrack my vet did surgery on my hen, but I think the stitch was too tight. She did tell me to takeoff the stitch if she couldn’t poop anymore and she did struggle quite a lot when it came to going to the bathroom. Over the weekend it just got harder and harder for her to go to the bathroom. So I took her to a different vet that was open on Sunday. He did say the stitch was too tight, as I thought and he gave her an x-ray. she did have a lot of poop backed up which was unfortunate because that’s the whole point of not having a bounded egg. We got the stitch out.

Now I’m in the car with her in the carrier, and she did make a lot of poop kind of like when a hen is brooding. Now she’s panting fairly heavily, is she tired? Or what do you think is happening? Did I make the right call?

Hi everyone, so I made a previous post about my chicken having a prolapse after an extraction of a bounded egg. So to backtrack my vet did surgery on my hen, but I think the stitch was too tight. She did tell me to takeoff the stitch if she couldn’t poop anymore and she did struggle quite a lot when it came to going to the bathroom. Over the weekend it just got harder and harder for her to go to the bathroom. So I took her to a different vet that was open on Sunday. He did say the stitch was too tight, as I thought and he gave her an x-ray. she did have a lot of poop backed up which was unfortunate because that’s the whole point of not having a bounded egg. We got the stitch out.

Now I’m in the car with her in the carrier, and she did make a lot of poop kind of like when a hen is brooding. Now she’s panting fairly heavily, is she tired? Or what do you think is happening? Did I make the right call?
I would have done the same thing. She could be panting from stress or pain or exertion or even if it's too hot in your car. If she's pooping, she's not blocked up anymore. The only thing I'd worry about is shock. And if the prolapse eventually returns.

When you get ger home, I'd give her some electrolytes and observe her. She may need a quiet place to relax if she seems in shock. But she might perk up when she's back with her flock.

Thats a lot of scary stuff to happen to her in one day!
Whenever I take the Terrible Too to the vet, he's not himself on the ride back home, when we get home for the rest of the day. It's scary for them, especially if they are in pain or something is not right / procedure was done etc.

The fact that she took a dump is a very good thing, it means things are getting back to normal. Keep an eye on her, don't just put water in there but make sure she's drinking it too. If she dehydrates that brings all the problems back.

id keep her separated overnight, that gives the owie of removing the stitch a day to heal up and scab over too, so the others are not so inclined to pick / peck at a new wound. Then put her with the others and see how they all are doing then. But a good nights solitary rest I bet will do her a world of good.

poor girl, .. you did the right thing, keep an eye on her and hopefully she'll be just fine in a few days.

Aaorn

It is best to keep posting on the original thread, so that it is easier to see what has happened and what others have said. She may be panting in the car because of streas or she might be too hot. It is good that you got the second vet and removed the stitch. I would just make sure that she is drinking well and eating some. Hopefully her prolapse will stay inside, but if it comes back out, just try to put it back when you see it. . Keep it covered with honey, oil, or cream.

Thats a lot of scary stuff to happen to her in one day!
Whenever I take the Terrible Too to the vet, he's not himself on the ride back home, when we get home for the rest of the day. It's scary for them, especially if they are in pain or something is not right / procedure was done etc.

The fact that she took a dump is a very good thing, it means things are getting back to normal. Keep an eye on her, don't just put water in there but make sure she's drinking it too. If she dehydrates that brings all the problems back.

id keep her separated overnight, that gives the owie of removing the stitch a day to heal up and scab over too, so the others are not so inclined to pick / peck at a new wound. Then put her with the others and see how they all are doing then. But a good nights solitary rest I bet will do her a world of good.

poor girl, .. you did the right thing, keep an eye on her and hopefully she'll be just fine in a few days.

Aaorn
Oh my God thank you Aaron! Yes she’s eating and drinking up a storm. Yet I’m still concerned.

I have her in the small crate I’ve been monitoring her in since Thursday night and she gets to eat all her crumbles without bullying her flock lol.

She does have a follow up with her original vet who did the flipping stitch. Sometimes I wish there was a different vet I can take her but for some crazy reason living in the biggest agricultural center of all of California means a lack of any vets for chickens. Again thank you so much I’m happy for all of the support.

KM

It is best to keep posting on the original thread, so that it is easier to see what has happened and what others have said. She may be panting in the car because of streas or she might be too hot. It is good that you got the second vet and removed the stitch. I would just make sure that she is drinking well and eating some. Hopefully her prolapse will stay inside, but if it comes back out, just try to put it back when you see it. . Keep it covered with honey, oil, or cream.
Gotcha! I’ll go back and post the update there. Looks like she’s getting sleepy. Is that good?

Keep it covered with honey, oil, or cream.
Honey? That sounds like it'd be a not good thing, you don't want to make things sweet to taste, that could bring in other critters, flies, ants etc because of the sweetness of the honey. I understand the lotion thing but not so sure about using honey. Yes it's natural and all but just... something that would entice the other birds to want to pick and peck because something is tasty, just seems not good.

Back
Top Bottom