Post your Chick Pictures Here!!!

My broody hen's chicks are growing fast.

I love these babies. But Boy Oh Boy the one in the center is LOUD. She is my new Blue Favaucana. She yells all of the time. She is needy and wants attention constantly.... WOW such a cutie pie.

I am new to the chicken thing. One of my Buff Orps is broody. We have no rooster, so she is gonna be waiting a long time. LOL....anyway you said in your post that she is a good momma. What makes a hen a good momma...what do they do for the chicks? And if the hen is not a good momma, can you step in and help with the chicks or will another hen move in on the babies?

I am new to the chicken thing. One of my Buff Orps is broody. We have no rooster, so she is gonna be waiting a long time.  LOL....anyway you said in your post that she is a good momma.  What makes a hen a good momma...what do they do for the chicks?  And if the hen is not a good momma, can you step in and help with the chicks or will another hen move in on the babies?

My broody hen is a great Mom!!! She talks to her chicks and teaches them. She did not take them out to free range until they were close to 3 weeks old. She has kept them safe and warm. They catch their own bugs when out because Jewel has taught them how but Jewel feeds them also. It is similar to a good rooster she finds the good things and tells them about them and picks them up and drops them. When free ranging she is on constant look out and telling them what to do and how to recognize a threat. She is my first broody so I am not sure about a bad Mom but I can pick up Jewel's chicks and nobody tries to hurt them but Jewel has established this on day one, she is pretty brutal with the other chickens when it comes to her chicks, so no other chickens dare hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom