post your chicken coop pictures here!

We have a coop castle
Nice, I like it
1f604.png

Both of our coops were built with skids under them, if you can put your coop on one it will help strengthen it. We pulled them both 8'x12'as 10'×16' with a 32 horse Farmall.They flexed a bit but not near as much had the skids not been there.It lifts the coop up off the ground more for air flow under it and we attached and buried welded wire fence under the floor down past the skid to keep critters out. The only critter to get through is mice so far.

Last edited:
Here's my coop!
It has rather extensive damage from fallen trees and a failed attempt to drag it using a tractor, but it keeps my girls safe, so it's good enough.
smile.png

That seems spacious. Chickens aren't fussy about their housing. OMG they'll sleep in trees - they're not fussy! The main thing is to predator proof whatever housing/run they have. Electrifying the fence would be a good investment since the housing itself doesn't look like it'll keep out predators.
smile.png

If it can be put on rollers to move it certainly can be put on a Sledge. I have seen such moved by horses.

That sledge has to be built right though. Some people call them sleds or skids.

The beauty of it would be you'd get a new floor out of it in the process.

I think sledges (by any name) are more likely used in winter when the ground is frozen, rollers any time. Certainly easier to move it a distance if you don't need to have people running the rollers from back to front to keep it moving.

Quote:
Actually they historically are used any time of the year. Look up stone boats. Or here is a LINK to a google search

If they are constructed right they just require to be unstuck. Gee and Haw... a tug left and right and a team of horses can move two or three thousand pounds. Same goes for a tractor.

best illustration i have seen for skids to be built under a building.

In order to move a heavy building with a tractor or horse the skid runners themselves need to be braced because when you hook chains to each of the skids and pull. They skids want to compress together.

deb

We live in a small town on a corner lot so we don't have a ton of space to work with, but we ended up building a 10x10 with 6 oversized nesting boxes. We have been working on our first coop for a few months now in our spare time. We had no set plans or designs I just took from many different pictures that inspired. Hope you enjoy
1f60a.png
we are rather proud of it! (Coop is about 95% complete as of this post)

Back
Top Bottom