post your chicken coop pictures here!

I want to chime in and say thanks to. You all have helped me out to. So much. My coop is not as nice but works great. And my rabbits hutch /quail pen is tons of fun to. I did some improvements from things I read on this site. Thanks.

Ok... Ideas needed. I'm planning on keeping my new hatches inside for about 4-5 weeks and then put them outside in a secure run and have a brooder lamp set up in a custom homemade coop. This way they will get acclimated to the weather and introduced to the older birds. I usually wait until week 7 to put them out but with the new house my husband wants to try this outdoor brooder setup. Ideas?? They will NOT be able to reach the older birds for safety.

Here is the advice
wink.png
Start them outside with a Mama Heating Pad brooder right off. You live in Alabama right? If Blooie can do it in Wyoming at seriously sub freezing temperatures, you sure can. They will acclimate to the "weather" starting the first day you get them. No way you need a heat lamp on 5 week old chicks in March in Alabama. Join the MHP Brigade, and post pictures (as required to pay your "membership dues") https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

BTW, the older birds are not safety, so being able to get to them wouldn't be a benefit in that regard. At best the chicks would be ignored, at worst, seen as intruders. Mid range, seen as kids that need to be reminded of where they are in the pecking order. But you want the chicks growing up with as much visible exposure to the older chickens as possible. The BEST way is to have a separate brooder area within the other chickens' area including an adjustable size door that only the chicks can pass through. That way they will mingle with the older birds as they grow and most likely be considered "one of the flock" as very young chicks aren't likely seen as a "threat" right off. They will still be "midrange" at some point. One of my Cubalayas still think she should remind the "kids" that she has a higher flock status, even though every one of the "kids", now 7 months old are full size chickens and she is about 2/3 their size. And the "kids" haven't yet figured out they can kick her tail feathers any time they like.

this is the new coup 10'x20' with vinyl flooring poop boards and buckets for nesting boxes timed lights automatic "pullet shut chicken door", french doors that I took from another job and one window that opens also from another job only 17 chickens currently but 50 more coming soon.

Looks nice! Is there ridge ventilation or other ventilation other than the windows and door.

I think I have that same 3 light wall sconce, unfortunately still in the box. The electrical box high on the wall in the hall at the top of the stairs turned out to be for the hardwired smoke detector. Somehow the electricians missed that there was supposed to be a light up there and I ASSUMED that is what the box was for. I should have been suspicious of the 12-3 wire in there since the light was supposed to be switched at only 1 location.

We are raising Americanas , jersey Giants, barrel rock,
Silver spangled polish, welsumer, and black copper merans. Oh and one buff orp.

Americanas = EE right? Or do you have true Ameraucanas?

I'm 16. I will have about 3 chickens by the time, ill start my coop. Do anyone have any instructions or links to how to build a coop. My chickens live in a coop at my school. But I wanna keep them when school is over. But I found a summer home for them. And when summer starts back, I could place them back in the coop at school. So I have a good year and a half to build one. I have no clue how to make one. Any help?

Wow! That's a serious bite on your dog! We use hardware cloth to cover our coop windows only. The run and coop perimeter is all covered in 1x2 spaced welded fence here. Hubby tried to argue with me on that expense. Told him no chicken wire will be used or else. I then showed him posts from this forum to back it up.

She is a dainty little girl that is what surprised me when I saw it. No damage to her or anything but she's part terrier so she's very persistent. Surprisingly she shows no interest in my birds....

I'm 16. I will have about 3 chickens by the time, ill start my coop. Do anyone have any instructions or links to how to build a coop. My chickens live in a coop at my school. But I wanna keep them when school is over. But I found a summer home for them. And when summer starts back, I could place them back in the coop at school. So I have a good year and a half to build one. I have no clue how to make one. Any help?

A couple of suggestions look around here in the Forums and Learning Center, do a search on google "how to build a chicken coop" or "chicken coop plans". Even though you now only have 3 you may want to build something to house more.

Quote:
another option is to convert a childrens play house they make excellent coops once you cover the windows with hardware cloth.

This one was on craigslist in my area for 40 bucks and yes it had a roof.

little hardwar cloth fastended on with some screws and washers and you have a secure place for your chickens to live. Id flip it over and put a wooden bottom on it as well.

deb

She is a dainty little girl that is what surprised me when I saw it. No damage to her or anything but she's part terrier so she's very persistent. Surprisingly she shows no interest in my birds....

Ah I too am familiar with the terrier drive. Have a Cairn now, Jack Russell previously. Terrable is scared of my chickens thanks to being zapped by the electic fence. She won't get 5 ft near a bird now and it's been 3 yrs.Her breed was originally for badger and fox, so yeah bite ratio is high for a little furball.

Last edited:
another option is to convert a childrens play house they make excellent coops once you cover the windows with hardware cloth. This one was on craigslist in my area for 40 bucks and yes it had a roof. little hardwar cloth fastended on with some screws and washers and you have a secure place for your chickens to live. Id flip it over and put a wooden bottom on it as well. deb
Cute Chickens please look up as much info you can . You may be able to find help from classmates too for your build. FFA or shop students could be a good start.And I agree too with making extra room. Chickens are like potato chips, you only want a handful and then boom, there went half the bag.

Last edited:
Haha
Cute Chickens please look up as much info you can . You may be able to find help from classmates too for your build. FFA or shop students could be a good start.And I agree too with making extra room. Chickens are like potato chips, you only want a handful and then boom, there went half the bag.
hahaha thanks. We have no wood class here but ill ask my FFA leader. We haven't done the wood portion yet in class. But ill look into it :) thanks

Back
Top Bottom