post your chicken coop pictures here!

I really like it.... But where is the over hang for YOU on rainy days? Or snow days Your info under your avatar doesnt say what part of the world you are in...

deb

Maybe the overhang looks like this
wink.png

I don't think mixing chickens and tortoise would be a good idea...besides for what reason? Other than curiosity to see what happens....put a mouse in with the birds and see what happens...it's not pretty...the mouse is quick...but unless it gets Gone as soon as it can....it's doomed...No tortoises or turtles....small snakes don't have much of a chance either...my birds mob them and turn them into a "Long" lunch...after playing "Keep Away" with it as the "Ball"...chipmunks will brave the run for sunflower seeds....but they better put a bold face on...if the birds sense any weakness...the chippy will end up on the menu. It's the nature of the "Beast". Chickens are opportunist feeder...there aren't many things they won't at least taste....animal, vegetable or mineral...they all get a fair peck...or more. I'm careful when holding my tame birds....you shiny eyeballs can and will be investigated, if you aren't careful.

That's just what I thought. I'm not keeping the tortoise with the chickens. But I suppose at some point in time there might be a few encounters. YES only worried about my tortoises eyes with the chickens being curious. My tortoise is 80 lbs and still growing but still concerned a small quick peck to the eye. I'm hoping with a fence between them. As the chicks grow up. They will become somewhat familiar with each other and if they ever get out. Won't pay too much attention to him. Thank you for confirming my concern
1f423.png
1f422.png

That's just what I thought. I'm not keeping the tortoise with the chickens. But I suppose at some point in time there might be a few encounters. YES only worried about my tortoises eyes with the chickens being curious. My tortoise is 80 lbs and still growing but still concerned a small quick peck to the eye. I'm hoping with a fence between them. As the chicks grow up. They will become somewhat familiar with each other and if they ever get out. Won't pay too much attention to him. Thank you for confirming my concern
1f423.png
1f422.png
80 lbs....I'd be worried that the tortoise might get annoyed with the birds and strike out at one...vegetarians they are but they have a "Beak" for clipping off the vegetation they feed on...we don't have any tortoises here....just bad tempered Northern Snapping Turtles....even a small one if annoyed will try to take a finger off....or part of one, if you mess with it. Not your friendly mud turtle...they turn to face you and hiss loudly....if you get to close it will sometimes make a short rush at you...it's a turtle with the heart of a crocodile....deadly carnivores in their world.

There is a snapping turtle in the pond behind the barn. Big sucker. I first saw it sunning on a dirt and weed (stuff I pulled out of the edge of the pond) covered rock. I went to get the camera, the turtle was gone without a trace when I got back. I would have expected at least some markings in the dirt on the way down but no. It was seen again by a 12 Y/O girl my daughter watches, turtle headed into the pond. The chickens routinely go down to drink in the area where I saw the turtle. No interactions that I know of.

There is a snapping turtle in the pond behind the barn. Big sucker. I first saw it sunning on a dirt and weed (stuff I pulled out of the edge of the pond) covered rock. I went to get the camera, the turtle was gone without a trace when I got back. I would have expected at least some markings in the dirt on the way down but no. It was seen again by a 12 Y/O girl my daughter watches, turtle headed into the pond. The chickens routinely go down to drink in the area where I saw the turtle. No interactions that I know of.
honestly I don't think they look for trouble...they are just very bold and not really afraid of much...if the chickens give it a wide birth....I don't think the turtle will bother with the chickens....they might consider a chick or small chicken as prey...they do take ducks and ducklings pretty regularly...usually by stealth, from below the surface of the water. But if you've ever seen them snap....they are incredibly quick when they want to be...and if one were to decide that a chick or chicken looked tasty it would be more than capable of catching, killing and eating it.

1f423.png
1f422.png
I think things will be fine.
A Sulcata tortoise (I'm guessing that's what you have), is completely different than a snapping turtle, or any turtle, for that matter.
Definitely not omnivorous.

My chickens maintain a wide berth around my much smaller tortoises; they show no interest in zeroing in on the tortoise eye, or any other part. Especially if there are tasty bugs and weeds to be had.
Again, they interact only occasionally and with supervision.

Then, of course, there is this:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom