post your chicken coop pictures here!

O so sweet isn't nature the best thing
Yeah. My daughter got to named this one. Fluffy Butt...
1f602.png
my son will name the next as FluffO!
1f602.png
1f602.png
names kids come up with.

WARNING. DO NOT USE CHEESE CLOTH. little feet tangle. Saved my chick from harm and removed the cloth fast. 2 solid pips in others. Lots of rocking going on. Leaving house for a few or I'll sit all day watching them hatch.

Thank you for your suggestions. We are working on a meatbird coop/run and whats a little extra wire to ensure I don't lose my girls (and rooster). I pick up 14 chicks next wednesday from the hatchery. Chicken math sneaks up on you lol. It really wouldn't take much more effort. Any suggestions on an easy low cost odea for meatbirds? I do them for 3-4 weeks indoors. So they are only outside for 5 weeks. I have an old mini Camper just sitting in the edge of the woods. We were using it as a shed but not anymore. I thought about gutting it and using it as the coop but something about it makes me feel uneasy. Idk it its mold or that it isnt secure enough. Opinion?

There are many great examples of different style "chicken tractors" on here. Really, it's a matter of what you conceive and the sky is the limit. it can be as simple (light weight) or extravagant (mobile home weight) as you wish to make it. As @TJordan said above, you can start with a PVC pipe square base and build a 2' high PVC "box" attached to it, covered with HW cloth, add some wheels and you can move it around your property so they have a fresh patch to scratch through every day. You're only talking 14 birds, so you won't need a huge tractor... maybe 8X12 or 8x16 should be adequate if you'll be moving it frequently. Since I don't like to bend down so much, I'd probably make it 3' high and that also gives a little more roost room for the birds so they aren't busting their heads on the roof at night.

A little fancier, you could build a wooden base of PT lumber and then make a mini "hoop coop" or box coop from cattle panels and cover that with HW cloth. Many folks build "A" frame tractors. In any tractor set up, you'll need to "enclose" one end of it and put a roost of some sort in there so they can get up off the ground at night and get out of bad weather or get some shade if it gets real hot. You could always close the/a door to keep them in there (the roost box) while you move the coop also. Obviously, the heavier you make it, the more difficult it will be to move it. If you have a lawn tractor or something like that, it could make it much easier and weight won't be such an issue. I would also place a 2"x4" field fence apron around it going out at least a foot... just me
wink.png

If you have a garden area, you can concentrate on moving it repeatedly over that area. The birds will eat/scratch up all the weeds, weed seeds, bugs and grass and of course add nutrients/fertilizer to the ground before you'll be turning/planting it later this spring. Just a reminder... be careful moving it when the birds are on the ground... you don't want to grind them up while moving. They aren't the brightest bulbs in the chandelier after all. Hope you'll share some pics of your setup once you create it! Everybody loves pics
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom