post your chicken coop pictures here!

I never posted a finished picture of my coop last spring. Nothing extravagant but I'm proud of it. The hens seem fond of it as well.

Well. It's a good thing we had planed to change the roof of the coop. We just had a gully washer come through and ripe the top right off the coop. Thankfully no birds were in it yet. Good exscuse to get more done this weekend now lol

Well I just washed the windows for the new coop they don't have the frame that you would put them into to slide so I am just going to take a 2x4 and make a track for them and on the inside of the coop I will have a latch so nothing can pull them open. And there has been a bear running around and I seen something moving down across the woods so I hope if it was the bear it will just stay that way.

Well. It's a good thing we had planed to change the roof of the coop. We just had a gully washer come through and ripe the top right off the coop. Thankfully no birds were in it yet. Good exscuse to get more done this weekend now lol

TJ.... God love ya girl, I don't think I have ever in my life met ANY body who has had more problems and bad luck with chicken coops! I mean... good gosh! Trees fall on them, multiple times, they try to become arks and float away, you burn them down, the wind tears them apart. You wait YEARS to get them built (hubby!
rant.gif
). I don't know... Have you considered maybe just throwing in the towel? Well, upon review, I guess not since you're building once again... I sure hope this one finally gets finished and lasts more than 6 months.

TJ.... God love ya girl, I don't think I have ever in my life met ANY body who has had more problems and bad luck with chicken coops! I mean... good gosh! Trees fall on them, multiple times, they try to become arks and float away, you burn them down, the wind tears them apart. You wait YEARS to get them built (hubby! :rant ). I don't know... Have you considered maybe just throwing in the towel? Well, upon review, I guess not since you're building once again... I sure hope this one finally gets finished and lasts more than 6 months.

We already knew a strong storm would take that top off. That's why we were going to change it out
1f602.png
1f602.png
Storm saved us the trouble.

We are sitting in the dark right now.
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f630.png
1f630.png
1f630.png
1f630.png

right, after much deliberation i have finally made myself a new coop/run. prompted by new chicks and the creation of a meat and an egg flock, both need to be separated.

the requirement was for a coop and run which was easy to take apart and move as my job requires me to move every 1-2 years.

i have a ready supply of pallets so decided to build something for my two leghorns and have them as a separate egg flock.

so here it is, three sections, of two pallets each, the first two have chicken wire so form the run part. all are held together with hooks and chains to keep them together, with hinges at the apex and a chain at the bottom to keep them from opening too far.

now the coop, just the top bit of another A frame, plenty of room with a nest box at one end. both of the ends are on hinges so they fold inwards and the floor slides out so easy to dismantle, same again with the hinges at the apex and a chain at the bottom to regulate the width. (it has an access door on the other side for cleaning and egg collecting.

Put together: all a nice snug fit, has a drawbridge to the coop part which gets raised at night.

it all comes apart and packs flat into a pallet size and about a foot high. all for about £20 for hinges and chain, all the rest i had already and i got the pallets for free.

i have also decreased the size of the original run which now houses our two bantams and their three chicks (the three chicks are destined for the pot, with new hatches occurring whenever the bantams go broody again). i have also moved their coop up onto blocks to give them some more room, and made it so the nest box pokes out of the fence so i don't need to enter the run to collect eggs! surrounded by sweet peas and pumpkins/squashes in the pots around it.

(the picture is before i moved the leghorns out.)

hope you like it!

P.S. Edited as photobucket isn't playing so pictures hopefully embedded properly now!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom