post your chicken coop pictures here!

Looks like you are doing some patio and raised beds also? I'm thinking of adding another raised bed next spring for smaller quantity veggies. Hubby does a bigger garden for corn, tomatoes, green beans and onions.

Love the canopy idea! Can't wait to see the finished set up!

Since getting chickens 5 yrs ago our house and yard remodeling has been an ongoing process. Our house wiring and plumbing was over 60 yrs old and so was the chainlink fence. We remodeled the house first because of fire danger - one wall was smoldering from faulty wires! After 2 years of adding an insulated attic over vaulted ceilings and re-wiring and re-plumbing the house, we started to think about the outdoors - replacing the old coop with a more secure model, adding a couple roofed patios, erecting a blockwall & iron fencing, and re-landscaping. Ugh! We STILL are not finished! Here's some shots of the mess we're still living in! Coop re-builds and house repairs are a never-ending process in life!

OLD COOP, OLD TARPED CHAINLINK FENCE, PAVER STONES INSTEAD OF CEMENT PATIO

SAME LOCATION WITH NEW COOP, CEMENT SLAB FOR COOP, AND ROOFED PATIO OVER COOP

THE TWO NEW PATIOS ARE ROOFED, BLOCK WALL & PRIVACY FENCING UP, BUT NOW HAVE TO REBUILD A RAISED GARDEN BED THAT WAS DISASSEMBLED DURING REMODELING.

ONE GARDEN BED WAS LEFT INTACT (NETTING COVERING THE RAISED BED IN FRONT BOTTOM CORNER OF PHOTO) WHILE THE EMPTY PAVER STONES ARE WHERE ANOTHER RAISED BED IS BEING RE-CONSTRUCTED.

LOVE WALKING OUT OF THE KITCHEN SLIDING DOOR ABOUT 8 STEPS TO THE COOP TO COLLECT EGGS. THE GARAGE DOOR IS NEXT TO THE COOP AND EASY ACCESS FOR FEED IN THE GARAGE FRIDGE OR GETTING STRAW IN THE METAL TRASH CAN. THE COOP STILL NEEDS THE ADDED KENNEL RUN ATTACHED BUT THIS HAS BEEN 5 YRS IN THE PLANNING SO WHY RUSH? LOL!

THIS IS THE RAISED BED THAT WAS DISASSEMBLED DURING REMODEL AND IS NOW BEING RE-ASSEMBLED! CHICKENS HAD A BLAST USING IT AS THEIR PERSONAL DUST-BATH ARENA!

WE HAVE TO COVER DIRT PILES WITH WHATEVER WE CAN FIND TO KEEP THE CHICKENS FROM DIGGING HOLES EVERYWHERE! THE FENCE PANELS ARE A SAMPLE OF FENCING WE WILL RUN SEPARATING THE PATIOS FROM THE CHICKEN DIRT. SINCE LEVELING THE BACKYARD DIRT THE CHICKENS WON'T ALLOW THE SMALLEST GREEN SHOOT TO SURVIVE. WITH WATER RATIONING BY THE WATER DISTRICTS WE'RE USING PAVER STONES TO COVER AS MUCH FRONT AND BACKYARD DIRT AS POSSIBLE MINUS A PATCH FOR THE CHICKENS TO USE.

DURING REMODELING THE YARD IS BARE AND WE USE A 50-FT ROLL OF RABBIT FENCING TO KEEP THE CHICKENS OUT OF THE REMODELING ZONES.

ONE GARDEN BED IS LEFT INTACT ON THE RIGHT WHILE THE ONE IN THE MIDDLE WITH THE SHOVEL IS GETTING RE-BUILT!

SOME OF OUR CONTAINER VEGGIES ARE GIVING US SOME PRODUCE - OUR CHICKENS LOVE CUKES!

THE FRONT YARD IS STILL BARE DIRT WITH PLANS TO PUT A COUPLE 4X8 RAISED BEDS FOR VEGGIES WITH THE REST LAID IN PAVER STONES. WE'RE GETTING SICK & TIRED OF WATER DISTRICT RESTRICTIONS AND ARE SAVING WATER FOR JUST OUR VEGGIES.

WE DON'T HAVE A FRONT LAWN BUT AT LEAST OUR BLOCK WALL & IRON FENCE ARE UP!

MEANWHILE PLANTING SEASON RUNS FOR A SHORT TIME SO DURING REMODEL WE HAVE TO USE CONTAINERS FOR OUR CUKES, PEPPERS, TOMATOES, HERBS, & CITRUS! WITH DISMANTLED BEDS WE HAD TO RESORT TO MANY CONTAINER POTS FOR VEGGIES!

[COLOR=0000CD]Since getting chickens 5 yrs ago our house and yard remodeling has been an ongoing process. Our house wiring and plumbing was over 60 yrs old and so was the chainlink fence. We remodeled the house first because of fire danger - one wall was smoldering from faulty wires! After 2 years of adding an insulated attic over vaulted ceilings and re-wiring and re-plumbing the house, we started to think about the outdoors - replacing the old coop with a more secure model, adding a couple roofed patios, erecting a blockwall & iron fencing, and re-landscaping. Ugh! We STILL are not finished! Here's some shots of the mess we're still living in! Coop re-builds and house repairs are a never-ending process in life![/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]OLD COOP, OLD TARPED CHAINLINK FENCE, PAVER STONES INSTEAD OF CEMENT PATIO[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]SAME LOCATION WITH NEW COOP, CEMENT SLAB FOR COOP, AND ROOFED PATIO OVER COOP[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]THE TWO NEW PATIOS ARE ROOFED, BLOCK WALL & PRIVACY FENCING UP, BUT NOW HAVE TO REBUILD A RAISED GARDEN BED THAT WAS DISASSEMBLED DURING REMODELING.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]ONE GARDEN BED WAS LEFT INTACT (NETTING COVERING THE RAISED BED IN FRONT BOTTOM CORNER OF PHOTO) WHILE THE EMPTY PAVER STONES ARE WHERE ANOTHER RAISED BED IS BEING RE-CONSTRUCTED.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]LOVE WALKING OUT OF THE KITCHEN SLIDING DOOR ABOUT 8 STEPS TO THE COOP TO COLLECT EGGS. THE GARAGE DOOR IS NEXT TO THE COOP AND EASY ACCESS FOR FEED IN THE GARAGE FRIDGE OR GETTING STRAW IN THE METAL TRASH CAN. THE COOP STILL NEEDS THE ADDED KENNEL RUN ATTACHED BUT THIS HAS BEEN 5 YRS IN THE PLANNING SO WHY RUSH? LOL![/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]THIS IS THE RAISED BED THAT WAS DISASSEMBLED DURING REMODEL AND IS NOW BEING RE-ASSEMBLED! CHICKENS HAD A BLAST USING IT AS THEIR PERSONAL DUST-BATH ARENA![/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]WE HAVE TO COVER DIRT PILES WITH WHATEVER WE CAN FIND TO KEEP THE CHICKENS FROM DIGGING HOLES EVERYWHERE! THE FENCE PANELS ARE A SAMPLE OF FENCING WE WILL RUN SEPARATING THE PATIOS FROM THE CHICKEN DIRT. SINCE LEVELING THE BACKYARD DIRT THE CHICKENS WON'T ALLOW THE SMALLEST GREEN SHOOT TO SURVIVE. WITH WATER RATIONING BY THE WATER DISTRICTS WE'RE USING PAVER STONES TO COVER AS MUCH FRONT AND BACKYARD DIRT AS POSSIBLE MINUS A PATCH FOR THE CHICKENS TO USE.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]DURING REMODELING THE YARD IS BARE AND WE USE A 50-FT ROLL OF RABBIT FENCING TO KEEP THE CHICKENS OUT OF THE REMODELING ZONES. [/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]ONE GARDEN BED IS LEFT INTACT ON THE RIGHT WHILE THE ONE IN THE MIDDLE WITH THE SHOVEL IS GETTING RE-BUILT![/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]SOME OF OUR CONTAINER VEGGIES ARE GIVING US SOME PRODUCE - OUR CHICKENS LOVE CUKES![/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]THE FRONT YARD IS STILL BARE DIRT WITH PLANS TO PUT A COUPLE 4X8 RAISED BEDS FOR VEGGIES WITH THE REST LAID IN PAVER STONES. WE'RE GETTING SICK & TIRED OF WATER DISTRICT RESTRICTIONS AND ARE SAVING WATER FOR JUST OUR VEGGIES.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]WE DON'T HAVE A FRONT LAWN BUT AT LEAST OUR BLOCK WALL & IRON FENCE ARE UP![/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]MEANWHILE PLANTING SEASON RUNS FOR A SHORT TIME SO DURING REMODEL WE HAVE TO USE CONTAINERS FOR OUR CUKES, PEPPERS, TOMATOES, HERBS, & CITRUS! WITH DISMANTLED BEDS WE HAD TO RESORT TO MANY CONTAINER POTS FOR VEGGIES![/COLOR]
It is never ending. We have done the same thing for the last 30 years. Constant remodels to accommodate a growing family. We are blessed to live in a totally green area of the country but the upkeep is hard with so much unwanted wanted growth... I'm anxious for the bigger garden extras to go to the girls. I planted lettuce and spinach as a grid divider in my one bed just for them. The spinach is gone but the lettuce is hanging in there and they love it.

Here are some pics of our coop. We live in Wyoming. We currently have 3 RIRs, 1 Auracauna, 2 Black Australorps, 9 Barred Rocks, and 2 Polish Crested Roos.

Thanks junebuggena. The small window on the side is only poultry netting, and the roof is not flush with the roof, so we're curious about ventilation for the winter. We have time to make adjustments.
Nice job, but cut some more holes along the roofline. Come winter, you're going to need more. Windows are nice, but not very efficient.

If we can't see enough venting from the exterior pictures, odds are, you don't have enough. Moisture in the coop is the main cause of frostbitten combs. Venting is essential, year round. And coops need a LOT more ventilation than the average building.

HAS ANYONE EVER TRIED THIS COMMERCIALLY SOLD "BEST MOUSETRAP EVER" SEEN ON THIS VIDEO - THERE IS ALSO A "BEST MOUSETRAP EVER" WEBSITE TO BUY IT AT ABOUT $20 - THINK I'LL EXPERIMENT WITH ONE TO SAVE ME TIME AND MONEY BUILDING MY OWN:

A 5 gallon drywall compound bucket with a hole cut out of the top serves the same purpose and is likely free, just have to find a taper that has an empty. Put a cardboard box or two next to it to act as steps for the mice. Some BOSS in the bucket, maybe a few on top.

I'm confused! Combs?? I didn't say anything about combs.

And yes it is a dominance thing. For some reason they seem to think the lower ranked girls need frequent reminders of their status even though they never challenge it. And no it is not a true "mount" since they aren't trying to have sex with them but they are on their backs, the lower girl pancaked out in a squat and their back feathers get pulled up by the dominant girl's claws.

I made a bucket trap for mice in the house (the humane kind, no drowning in the water). Paper covering the top with a small hole. Some BOSS in the bottom. Worked great for a few mice (or maybe the same mouse a few times since I released them on the far side of the barn) then they stopped falling (no pun intended) for it. If it was the same mouse returning from its vacation it learned. If not, maybe the other mice learned that the white bucket, food or no food, was a "not coming back" event not worth the food. 

O the comb thing I forgot to add @gpeters3 for that part of my post.

Here are some pics of our coop. We live in Wyoming. We currently have 3 RIRs, 1 Auracauna, 2 Black Australorps, 9 Barred Rocks, and 2 Polish Crested Roos.

Wintertime....you don't want a draft on the chickens. The way to do that is to have a deep coup with one end mostly open and the rest of the coop pretty much closed up...PT Woods or Tolman fresh air poultry style Or, to have the vents up high above the chickens heads. I see it often stated that chickens need a minimum of 1 square foot of vent area per bird.

You've got seventeen birds, what size coop is this? It looks to be about 8x8...??? It has maximum load in it, I would say. This means that there is a lot of moisture produced by those birds. High moisture levels in the wintertime will promote frostbite but those same high levels can cause respiratory problems in both winter and summer. With the size coop that you have I would do as junebuggena suggested and get some vents along the roof line. Be sure to put hardware cloth over them and you might want to put a little tin porch roof over them to help keep rain out as it doesn't look like you have much overhang....a simple piece of tin bent at an angle and attached above the vents would work.

You might want to lay your roost rack down a little bit more level...in the picture the rungs are almost above each other...chickens will end up pooping on chickens that are lower than them.

Good job on the build, you're definitely further along that I am!!! A few tweaks and you're off to the races!!!! :)

Ed

Just lost a 3 paragraph post to a stupid emoji page with no exit. What ever happened to the personal editor of 25 years ago that simply allowed very clean text input ***#@@#*#@¢$$&^^[=!:€¥&$$%&

Anyway, my 22 birds, including 4 turkeys roost and eat in a 9x12x12 foot ceiling coop using deep bedding and plenty of ventilation and having trouble keeping it clean so IMHO i have too many birds for the space.

My new water station seems to be an improvement and i just got 10 more horizontal nipples to install.

Only thing left to do is replace the storm door with a sliding barn door for easier cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom