post your chicken coop pictures here!

Just lost a 3 paragraph post to a stupid emoji page with no exit. What ever happened to the personal editor of 25 years ago that simply allowed very clean text input ***#@@#*#@¢$$&^^[=!:€¥&$$%&

Anyway, my 22 birds, including 4 turkeys roost and eat in a 9x12x12 foot ceiling coop using deep bedding and plenty of ventilation and having trouble keeping it clean so IMHO i have too many birds for the space.

My new water station seems to be an improvement and i just got 10 more horizontal nipples to install.

Only thing left to do is replace the storm door with a sliding barn door for easier cleaning.

Bummer to lose your post. :(

Appears that you have enough space for that many birds. Are you using a poop tray or board? Are you planning on a expansion of the flock? 10 additional nipples seems like a lot. I think they say 5 birds per nipple is the right ratio.

I agree with @TerryH on the nipples. 10 ADDITIONAL nipples for 22 birds? You can do 22 birds on a total of < 10. But maybe you plan an inside and an outside water source?

I have 4 nipples for 21 birds and they are fine they all take there turn at the waterer and when they are eating few of me leave the feeder go get a drink and then they go back to eat and then the others go to the waterer and then they are watered up and then through out the day they all go to get a drink when they need to.

For those of you with a large hen house and separate run area do you feed & water in the hen house and run area with separate feed & water setups? I am still working on the hen house but I haven't got much done to take pictures.

Happy 4th and have a blessed day!!

Thanks Mike

Last edited:
For those of you with a large hen house and separate run area do you feed & water in the hen house and run area with separate feed & water setups? I am still working on the hen house but I haven't got much done to take pictures.

Thanks Mike

I am building an 8x8 coop for my 18 birds. Food and water will available in the coop and run. I will post pictures after finish building it.

Thanks Mike

Mine have food only in the coop, a hanging feeder made from a piece of 4" PVC pipe connected with L brackets to a plastic pot tray. The nipple water pipe is in there as well. Since I have an auto door connected to a photocell, I guess it doesn't matter with respect to the birds having access to the food and water since the only time they are locked in the coop is at night when they aren't eating or drinking anyway. The coop is a converted stall and the barn alley is their run. If I lock them in, it is in the barn, not the coop, they can come and go into the coop to eat and drink anytime. I also have a 1 gallon waterer in the run during non freezing times. They do seem to prefer that to the nipples.

If I were in a situation where they were ever locked up in the coop during the day they would need at least the water so I think I would do it the same way. I see no reason to have food in both the coop and run but I guess if you had birds that chased others away from the feeder, having a second option would be useful.

The ladies are finally able to use the first 8 feet of their new run. I'm calling them ladies now instead of girls in hopes that they will feel grownup and start laying!
1f601.png
Hoping to have the whole 16 feet finished in the next couple weeks. They are in ant heaven scratching and catching. I warned the ants but as usual they didn't heed my advice.

Just lost a 3 paragraph post to a stupid emoji page with no exit. What ever happened to the personal editor of 25 years ago that simply allowed very clean text input ***#@@#*#@¢$$&^^[=!:€¥&$$%&

Anyway, my 22 birds, including 4 turkeys roost and eat in a 9x12x12 foot ceiling coop using deep bedding and plenty of ventilation and having trouble keeping it clean so IMHO i have too many birds for the space.

My new water station seems to be an improvement and i just got 10 more horizontal nipples to install.

Only thing left to do is replace the storm door with a sliding barn door for easier cleaning.
How long of a pvc pipe run do you have your nipples installed in? Nothing really wrong with having an abundance of nipples installed but I'd definitely have a clean-out on the ends. A long run of pipe might be a little difficult to flush without pressurized water. Water towards the end of the pipe might tend to get stagnant/stale.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom