post your chicken coop pictures here!

Thanks for catching that! That is a great idea! On that note do you think I should waterproof the hatch to the nesting box? Do the hens mind getting wet if it rains?

You want to keep nestbox material dry to avoid mold or rot. Chickens can get wet, but not the nesting material. A rain gutter was suggested at the roofline over the nestbox and that sounds like a great idea. A window awning over the window above the nestbox will keep rain water out too when opening the lid. With the old little coop we used a pop-up canopy over it to keep us and the coop dry in the rain. We got tired of collecting eggs in the rain for 5 years -- we finally built a patio roof over our newest coop.
PATIO ROOF OVER NEW COOP

Shingles are good, look good too. I shingled mine...

I also tarred the plywood roof panels before I shingled them. Partly to protect the wood partly to make absolutely sure no rain got in, You don't have to use cedar shingles (I splurged a bit there) plain asphalt ones will do great.
How are those poop boards working out.
Are the birds full grown yet?

Here are some close ups... sorry it was dark by the time I got to it...
Quote:
Awesome coop! Im stuck on my doors and windows right now. I would love to see some close up pictures of your doors and windows. Great job!

Basically any surface that will be diverting or "shedding" rain needs some type of roofing/water-proofing. Definitely roof the nest box. You may even want to put some type of flexible flashing where the lid hinges...a rubber strip tacked and sealed to the wall/window-frame and lid of nest box would work. You definitely want to keep the inside of the coop dry.

Do put a gutter under the roof drip-line. You may even want to set up a rain barrel to catch the run-off and use it to water your chickens with...gutter keeps them dry and helps supply them with water at the same time...win-win. :)

Best wishes,
Ed

@DaveTheDamaja Thank you so much for taking the time to post the pictures of your windows. I love your coop and I love the rounded posts of your run. Makes it look more rustic and natural
thumbsup.gif

The hardware cloth is very expensive but as others have said you might want to consider it especially for the lower portions. Maybe you could just add some hardware cloth to the lower 2 feet or so of your run. Not sure if you have racoons but they are notorious for reaching through chicken wire and ripping the heads off of chickens etc. Happened to my cousins hens.
sickbyc.gif
I

I like the metal corner bracing you used on the frames. I might steal that idea too! Thanks again!

Last edited:
Quote:
Shingles are good, look good too. I shingled mine...

I also tarred the plywood roof panels before I shingled them. Partly to protect the wood partly to make absolutely sure no rain got in, You don't have to use cedar shingles (I splurged a bit there) plain asphalt ones will do great.
They're not poop boards per se, but poop trays (I'll try and add some photos later). I added side walls and filled them with granulated zeolite ("SweetPDZ") which not only absorbs moisture but also neutralizes ammonia. Five minutes with a kitty litter scoop and they're clean.
You'll be amazed at just how much poop 11 chickens can produce in a day!
ep.gif

As for my birds, the April flock started laying last October, at least one of the August batch has started laying. I know that Smokey is one of them because whenever I get close she immediately squats down.

@ DaveTheDamaja
you did a fine job on your coop, there is one thing I would reconsider, you might want to install 1/2" hardware cloth instead of the chicken wire in your openings.
Ditto that! I know from experience that chickens can undo "chicken wire"

Quote:
They're not poop boards per se, but poop trays (I'll try and add some photos later). I added side walls and filled them with granulated zeolite ("SweetPDZ") which not only absorbs moisture but also neutralizes ammonia. Five minutes with a kitty litter scoop and they're clean.
You'll be amazed at just how much poop 11 chickens can produce in a day!
ep.gif

I ask because the last pic I saw were youngish birds on the roost above the 'trays' filled with pdz.....
thought the roosts were a bit close to the walls for full grown birds...
.....and also wondered if the trays suspended by chains were working out or if their movement was an issue.

Yeah, I know all about PDZ, I use it too....and how much poop 11 birds can produce.
I have 20 birds right now and am sifting everyday instead of every other day.

Still a few items left to finish before the coop and run are complete, but I'm almost there!! Inside dimensions are 6'x6', stands about 10' tall.

I was wondering if you could give me some advice on the footers that you used for your posts, DaveTheDamaja. What are they and why use them versus sinking the posts in the ground in concrete? I am building on a hill that has uneven ground, rocks, and roots, so something that sits on top of the ground would save me a lot of work!! I have never built a deck, shed, or anything large, so I apologize if this is a basic I should know.

Thanks for any advice,
Jenn

Back
Top Bottom