post your chicken coop pictures here!

I have a fence around my yard with a dog and 4 cats. I am not done with my run security - a work in progress. I will lay more bricks and other materials that can not be ripped by predators. I have seen 2 possum twice in my back yard in 20 years and my dog let me know about it but I still want to make my chicks safer then they are .

Last edited:
I live in a town of 20K population an got it to plat dead and I picked it up and threw it over the fence.d I have a fence around my yard with a dog and 4 cats. I am not done with my run security - a work in progress. I will lay more bricks and other materials that can not be ripped by predators. I have seen a possum twice in my back yard in 20 years and my dog let me know about it but I still want to make my chicks safeer then they are .

Having chickens is a learning process just like owning any other pet - always something new to learn from owning them. I've had our 4x6 coop for 3 years and have gone through 8 chickens - gifting some, losing some to death, or re-homing bullies and now we're down to 3 left. Next Spring we'll hopefully get a couple new layer pullets.

It's not cheap to make a coop and pen secure. Our most expense was the hardwire and the paver stone walkway-patio around the coop to secure it from any city wildlife - we know for certain there are Raccoons and Oppossums as we've seen both after getting our chickens. Even had a couple stray mutts break our gate and attack the coop but lucky a neighbor chased them off - but not before they mangled the cheap poultry wire with their teeth and claws. At least they couldn't dig under the little coop but it sure terrified the chickens. We prepared to get secure against wildlife but never expected loose domestic dogs to turn out as predators in our yard!

We figured out one Silkie's eggs are nearly $4.00 each after 4 vet visits this past year not calculating in her feed, housing, treats, or health maintenance products on top of that. Her eggs could easily be $40 to $50 a dozen but that's why chickens are called a "hobby" and "not for profit" LOL!

So glad you are taking steps to secure your flock. It will all be worth it for the eggs and the pet factor of owning chickens - they are special.

I have the same coop. here is what I have done so far still a work in progress. I am putting bricks all along the perimeter of the run and coop. I have 1/4 inch hardware cloth around and will go around again just as an extra security. I also have the top secure with chicken wire.
I have 3 RIR

frow.gif
I love that you have the hardware wire and are putting the bricks around the perimeter of what sounds like is a permanent run...BUT....(please forgive my honesty here...not meaning anything ugly) those "poles" that are meant to keep the predators out wouldn't even stop my poodle....put up a good run with some substantial poles....bury at least 12" of your wire in the ground... pavers would be a little better than the bricks. Bricks are easily "rolled" out of position. I know it a lot more expense but not in the longrun. I just lost 6 of 9 of my young chickens that I had raised from keets because I didn't have them in a secure coop/run. Something big tore everything apart. Even pulled a 40lb bale of pete moss away from my kennels without tearing it apart...!!! The metal panels were actually bent out of shape! My FAULT!! I have had someone who "volunteered" to build me a coop out of old boards he took out of an old shed.(back in Feb)..but I wasn't there to see what was going on. NOW.....I'm having to rip "chicken wire" off the run (had a $50 roll lof hardware wiring laying right there!). Physically unable to dig to bury it....so I'm going to spread it out from the bottom and adding the pavers... Nothing on the coop is square and because they don't have time to finish it ..I'm trying.
he.gif
You have a small coop/run....you have predators who can walk thru your run..... please don't wait until you have to pick up the pieces and start over with your ladies like I do. I cried all day when I went out and saw what "something" had done.
hit.gif
I'm determined to have a secure run and coop BEFORE I get more pullets..time is passing but I'm working on it! Don't let it happen to you....
bow.gif

My new coop...........Still under construction. We are tweaking it here and there and we need to finish putting shingles on the roof. There is a "pop" door coming from the enclosed run to a open space behind the main run that will be used as additional foraging space. I also installed a misting system in the main run to help keep them cool in our hot summers. It works great for them!

My new coop...........Still under construction. We are tweaking it here and there and we need to finish putting shingles on the roof. There is a "pop" door coming from the enclosed run to a open space behind the main run that will be used as additional foraging space. I also installed a misting system in the main run to help keep them cool in our hot summers. It works great for them!
Very nice I love the color and all the decor.

We live in a rural type setting very wooded and have an abundant supply of wild life up to and including black bears. The 1/2" hardware cloth should prevent most predators if not all. So far have not found any signs of meddling...so close to the house may be the reason for this. Once I mount some wheels...I will relocate further out...cross my fingers.
D.gif

I've heard the way to deter bears is to nail tacking strips( for carpets) to corners of wood places They are cheap and lots of nails sticking up.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom