post your chicken coop pictures here!

This is our old coop, built last spring. In the background, to the left, is our new coop in (work in progress).

I love all the coop pictures! I've had this page up for days to peruse when I have a few spare minutes :) I thought I'd share a few "in progress" pics of ours! It's the first time we've made anything like this ourselves, so it's taken a few weeks. Hopefully we'll have it done this weekend, but the chicks won't be old enough for a couple of weeks so we have time.

We used the free Purina Mills coop design and made some changes. I think DH said it should hold 12-16 birds by their calculations (they'll have plenty of free roaming time in the yard). Right now we have 6, but we're hoping to get 4-6 more from a friend when they hatch in a few weeks.

We are making it out of almost entirely recycled materials. The only thing we bought was the 4x4's, a few squares of plywood, and screws. The second picture shows where the nesting boxes will go. The door on the left hand opens entirely and there is a smaller door that opens on the other side. We'll be making a run based on the PVC design someone posted earlier in this thread. I thought it was great! We'd been looking for a way to build a sturdy but mobile run for our girls, because we can't let them free range all the time, and I already have materials for that.

47742_coop_003.jpg

47742_007.jpg

47742_coop_002.jpg

My little coop!
Wow, great coop, and beautiful garden! That looks like a lovely peaceful place to be!

Wow, great coop, and beautiful garden! That looks like a lovely peaceful place to be!
Agreed! This post made me itch to get my garden started. In fact, I got the whole area cleaned of dead/overgrown shrubs and vines this weekend after seeing the pictures here! We just moved in in November. Whoever lived here first must have loved to garden. Then either lost interest or was unable to keep it up!

This is our chicken coop in the workings. My husband just decided one day to start building this without any plans and has not spent any money on it. We had all the wood or went around looking for it on craigslist. Im super impressed with how good he's done! And our chicks are 2 weeks old, they had their first day outside sunday and are definitely curious about their new home :)

My homemade coop was an experiment to begin with that just went nuts. We wanted to see how far we could go without spending any money on materials. The coop itself is made of wooden pallets, scrap lumber and left over plastic lining and paint. (as you can see - I'm fond of red and purple. There's heat, lighting, ventilation easy clean access and egg retrieval. I can't wait to get my girls outside for some fresh air and a permanent home. I think the total came to $25 for the entire coop itself. The run is a design I created from a 1/2 inch PVC puzzle. Maybe $75 with all the hardware clothe, zip ties and piping. It came together magnificently! Very sturdy and critter proof. There's wire along the ground to prevent digging, fencing over 4 walls and the top, and the functioning parts (aka door) work entirely with plumbing / hanger parts (strapping and hang hooks). I've never raised chickens before but since I've recently retired and have time on my hands, I decided to give it a try. Wish me luck.

All we have so far is a naked, bare room. :( Just put the chicks out yesterday. They're in the 3-4 week range so I was nervous putting them out so young, but the yard is fenced and there's the CBS room for them to go into. I hung a heat lamp and put one of their buckets for them to sleep in for now. Now I've got to figure out how to turn a naked room into a chicken coop. Thoughts?

That table is coming out today. I'd like to pour a concrete foundation there and build some cabinets for storage and put the nest boxes on the other side where the window is. DOn't know if I shoudl cover up the window though?

I'm hoping I get a couple broody hens and they'd eventually have this entire area and the fenced yard with it with them and the rooster. The others will go to the large part of the fenced yard and we'll have to build a coop there for them to lay eggs in. I'd like to have some chicks and some eggs.

Back
Top Bottom