post your chicken coop pictures here!

Yep, like all Old World beliefs (I came from a similar background) people have to gradually come around to blending into the new-fangled gadget world; otherwise they lose a majority of their young people to the "World" and the religion/customs eventually die without succeeding generations to carry on the beliefs. The Amish lose a lot of their teenagers to the "World" and with the hardline attitude of shunning they will continue losing more. Keeping up with technology or mechanization doesn't mean you lose your life/salvation but without informed clergy or more-than-a-gradeschool education there's no advancing old core beliefs/superstitions/traditions.

yepper and then when I got the wood from him he paid a second guy to use his trailer to bring the wood....all the time you see the amish being transported in brand new vehicles...when they go to PA they just pay someone to drive them and then they go pick up their new wife/husband for the new addition to the family...most have motorized machines...like all the one that do the lumber and wood splitting...like the guy I bought my wood from he has a machine that crabs the piece and belt that moves the piece and a four way splitter to cut the piece and a conveyer that send the wood up to the trailer for his son to load...and then they pay someone to go and drive it...so yeah no old ways there..thats for sure..

yepper and then when I got the wood from him he paid a second guy to use his trailer to bring the wood....all the time you see the amish being transported in brand new vehicles...when they go to PA they just pay someone to drive them and then they go pick up their new wife/husband for the new addition to the family...most have motorized machines...like all the one that do the lumber and wood splitting...like the guy I bought my wood from he has a machine that crabs the piece and belt that moves the piece and a four way splitter to cut the piece and a conveyer that send the wood up to the trailer for his son to load...and then they pay someone to go and drive it...so yeah no old ways there..thats for sure..

Well, the truly "faithful" do MACHINES, just not internal combustion engine driven machines. Water powered is fine, I think the Shakers were the same. Went to a really impressive water powered workshop in the Hancock Shaker village in MA with my mother probably 15 years ago. Open the valve on the big pipe and all the big machines can do their thing. Of course you have to have a source of water up a hill or some way to windmill pump it to a similar source.

Quote:
There are different sects.... some are totally non engine and electricity.... but many allow for hitching a ride or using someones phone.... Using air powered tools is fine but owning the compressor is not....

Ihave an Amish made piece of equipment called a forecart. The workmanship is awesome... So they weld too and I suspect they use cutoff saws as well, and definately in a factory with tooling. So my guess is Pioneer is an English owned factory and they hire Amish worker bees.

forecart

FORECART3BIG.jpg

These carts are used as the front end for powered equipment.... You can use them for pulling all sorts of ground powered equipment... and the Amish use them as well. From Hay balers to gang plows and planters..... I have seen as many as six horses abrest hitched....

Here are Amish setting pepper plants

man in front driving and two women in back planting The forecart is part of this setup.

deb

That would be cool to see pictures of that

You can buy even fancier ones that move the LOG to the saw then splits the piece and conveyors it up to drop in a truck/wagon/whatever.

Of course this one probably cost as much as a house!

You can find lots of videos of home made wood processors on YouTube.

There are different sects.... some are totally non engine and electricity.... but many allow for hitching a ride or using someones phone.... Using air powered tools is fine but owning the compressor is not....

I have an Amish made piece of equipment called a forecart. The workmanship is awesome... So they weld too and I suspect they use cutoff saws as well, and definately in a factory with tooling. So my guess is Pioneer is an English owned factory and they hire Amish worker bees.

These carts are used as the front end for powered equipment.... You can use them for pulling all sorts of ground powered equipment... and the Amish use them as well. From Hay balers to gang plows and planters..... I have seen as many as six horses abrest hitched....

Here are Amish setting pepper plants

man in front driving and two women in back planting The forecart is part of this setup.

deb

I don't see a whole lot of powered equipment in that pepper planter! I do see a lot of "oh my aching back!" though.

Welding - no ICE or electricity needed if you use an arc welder. It is just a VERY hot candle, no?
Compressor - Don't HAVE to have an ICE or electricity - COULD have "people power" building up pressure in a big tank.

Using a tool but not being able to own it. Sorry too disingenuous for me.

Last edited:
Arc welding by definition is electric...

Suppose they could use gas, but at the end of the day if not all most every part of that cart benefited and was produced using electricity...

OK, so gas welding? I've not ever welded but I thought there were some welding methods that used gas. Maybe not
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom