post your chicken coop pictures here!

I have appox three miles of fence to do If I fence the parimeter and cross fence for grazing.  last guy that quoted me was five dollars a linear foot.... for Tpost and field fence.... :th

Depending on the T-post spacing as well as the gauge/length of the T-post, the types of corners or other structural/pull post he will drive and the type of field fence it might honestly not be that unreasonable... I just pulled about 300' this year to enclose my yard the rest of the way, all the little things add up fast...

The cheapest 47" thin gauge field fence in my area that I found and used was about 50 cents a linear foot, anything smaller weave like a no-climb or goat fence or a heavier gauge is about $1 a foot or more... I put T-post every 10 feet, again I went cheap thin gauge, they were $4 a piece... For the corners I put in 5" round treated post ($16 each), with 4" round complimentary post and used 4" end post ($10 each)... When you add in the tension wire and misc, my 300 feet of fence doing it cheap with no labor cost about $2 a linear foot... If the guy you talked to was going to use all cheap materials like I did, $5/ft for such a large job is probably high, but if there were going to use better materials or had to do a lot more wood post and corners to section off areas it might not be too bad...

Last edited:
Ours is smaller and built for just a few chickens to live in the city. I used a 4 inch PVC pipe to make an auto feeder that holds about a months supply of food and an automatic watering bowl with a float switch.

Last edited:
We have used the hand turned post hole digger but have been given one that goes on a 3 point tractor hitch. Rock, ow how I hate them, our property is next to an campground that was originally a stone quarry.

Ours is smaller and built for just a few chickens to live in the city. I used a 4 inch PVC pipe to make an auto feeder that holds about a months supply of food and an automatic watering bowl with a float switch.
Cuite little coop. Um... where did you find Red PVC.... Me likey. The closet rod is an awesome idea.... but next time your tinkering with the coop consider swapping it out for a piece of two by four layed flat... Chickens dont grip perches as much as you think. they hunker down and relax feet flat to sleep.
During cold weather is advantageous to have a flat perch because then they can use their feathers to keep their feet warm.

deb

frow.gif
Need some advice..........last year I built my coop and run. However, by the time I got to my fencing, I used a 2x3 up to top of post and then wiring across the top.. I brought 1/4" hardware wire up at the bottom.,.,,BUT,,..,with the smaller coop, I buried about a foot of the wire... with this one,I just splayed it outward to keep digging predators at bay. Haven't had any predators to get in. By that time, I had just reached the end of the summer, had no help (also have parkinsonism), had contracted RMSF,......so I didn't have any energy left.....! On the big run which is 25' on one side by 18' by 10'.... OK,,,,HERE'S THE PROBLEM...... my chickens are gradually digging real holes under the fencing!!!!!!!
barnie.gif
Have a grandson with me this week so ....I'm thinking about trenching on the inside and pouring quickrete around the perimeter. I am thinking that would be cheaper than buying a couple of $50 rolls of hardware wire.. (would rather do that but $$ is short right now, Does someone have a cheaper, long lasting suggestion??
caf.gif

you could always pick up some cheap paver stones at lowes or home depot and lay them around the perimeter inside. Don't know if that's cheaper than concrete, but it would be a lot quicker and easier. If you need to move them around later you'll be able to,.. Not so much with poured concrete.

Edit to add if you have access to some old railroad ties, you could lay them down along the inside of the fence also. Same principle in that you can move them, later if you need to (to fill holes or whatever).

Last edited:
you could always pick up some cheap paver stones at lowes or home depot and lay them around the perimeter inside. Don't know if that's cheaper than concrete, but it would be  a lot quicker and easier. If you need to move them around later you'll be able to,.. Not so much with poured concrete.

Edit to add if you have access to some old railroad ties, you could lay them down along the inside of the fence also. Same principle in that you can move them, later if you need to (to fill holes or whatever).

If I got the 4x8x16 pavers@ $1.56///It would come out to around $65.?? But that's cheaper than $100and having to trench and dealing with handling the big bag of quickqrete wouldn't it??

Back
Top Bottom