post your chicken coop pictures here!

View from front end of run. ...LOL...and that's a whole 'nother story. Never knew how to use hole diggers...just shoveled a 3' hole, used cement blocks to hold post level, poured in quickcrete and water...just broke block when it was set and rolled the piece inside to help fill the holes and added dirt. ....wow....that almost broke me ! (physically)

Fab job jt! As it always is - the little "oops" by the first "guy" has to be dealt with by the second "guy" and "his" oops have to be dealt with by the 3rd "guy". Like the framing carpenter isn't quite square and plumb so the drywallers have to deal with that and where they mess up, the taper has to fix it. And the finish carpenters have to deal with the framing carpenters oops.

Sometimes a shovel is the best way to put in a post. Those post hole diggers stop dead if they hit a 1/2" rock just as they would if they hit a 10 ton rock. You spend so much time hand digging out small rocks that you save no time or effort at all. They work real well in stone free ground though.

Quote:
I saw a guy once put in a MILE of Tposts with a hammer drill..... thats how bad our rocks are....
th.gif
it took him six months. So I bought a gas auger.

I too love the idea of functional shutters. I may steal from you. We bought a premade storage building and have been working eversince to get it like we want it for the chickens. I want to cut more window for ventilation and the shutter idea would be great. Thanks for the idea.

They were one of those things we decided to use because they were sitting around, but we love how they turned out!

Nice to have during heavy storms when it's raining sideways.

I'm not sure if we really need to close them at night. The windows are totally secure with the hw cloth on the inside. If I just close one side, the girls tend to huddle on that side of the roost.

I saw a guy once put in a MILE of Tposts with a hammer drill..... thats how bad our rocks are....
th.gif
it took him six months. So I bought a gas auger.
Guy should have rented himself one of these bad boys.

http://www.danuser.com/attachments/post-drivers/t3-driver

Factor in the time, sweat, and effort he put into that mile, I would have to think it would be worth it.

Note to sell, be glad we have lot of clay and sand here on my farm.

Quote:
OH me SO Want..... LOL. he was a school teacher and lived 300 miles away.... He would come down for a three day stay living in his car... He ran the hammer drill with the biggest drill they had then pounded the posts in with a hand driver... then when he was done he ran razer tape in sprials across the top... He didnt want illegals crossing through.

Funny thing was they would get to the road and their ride would pick them up and they never crossed over any way....

This is the kind of country he was trying to fence....

th.gif

deb

OH me SO Want..... LOL. he was a school teacher and lived 300 miles away.... He would come down for a three day stay living in his car... He ran the hammer drill with the biggest drill they had then pounded the posts in with a hand driver... then when he was done he ran razer tape in sprials across the top... He didnt want illegals crossing through.

Funny thing was they would get to the road and their ride would pick them up and they never crossed over any way....

This is the kind of country he was trying to fence....

th.gif

deb
Yeah, think I would have rented the equipment to speed up the process there, for as much good it would do.

** clipped **

Sometimes a shovel is the best way to put in a post. Those post hole diggers stop dead if they hit a 1/2" rock just as they would if they hit a 10 ton rock. You spend so much time hand digging out small rocks that you save no time or effort at all. They work real well in stone free ground though.

What the HECK is this "stone free ground" you speak of?!
barnie.gif
My tiny property has several tons of 1" granite gravel that somebody bought for the driveway (or such is my guess). However, since the property slopes gently back to the creek, the gravel has traveled under the house, into the flower beds, into the back yard, and in fact, to the back fence. EVERYWHERE, dang it. There are a few small areas I can use a post hole digger. There are several places I'd like to dig, but I suspect it will take a power tool of some kind.
tongue.png

Those post hole diggers stop dead if they hit a 1/2" rock just as they would if they hit a 10 ton rock. You spend so much time hand digging out small rocks that you save no time or effort at all. They work real well in stone free ground though.

I guess this really depends on the amount of rocks and the type of ground... I have hand dug a lot of post holes in my life using hand post hole diggers and although I hate every minute of it, I can't honestly say that small rocks have ever stopped me or caused that much hassle... In fact I regularly remove rocks up to about 5" in diameter or smaller just fine with nothing but the post hole digger... But, I also live in an rich soil area so digging is pretty painless until you hit the clay and gravel mix at about 3-4 feet down...

I will say though, that for what it cost to rent a gas one person auger with the arm (as pictured) they are worth the money if you are doing several holes, the other type of small gas augers that requires one or two people to hold them and stop from rotating (similar to ice augers) will generally cause you a lot of pain the next day...

Back
Top Bottom