post your chicken coop pictures here!

Thanks so much for all the info!!

The furniture idea sounds like a great one
smile.png

Only issue though is our front yard is huge and a giant bowl so it would look a little weird having furniture in the middle but I'll definitely figure something out!

And yeah, we have resident Red Tailed Hawks. They actually left for a while after we accidentally cut down their tree but came back a few years ago. They had babies this year.

We definitely do have a lot of plants though.
smile.png
the only issue is the middle of the yard. I'll try to get pictures or a video later.

But hmm, maybe I shouldn't get bantams then. The main reason I wanted them was just cause I think Silkies are hilarious but I'm sure there's standard ones that are similar. If I did I'd probably put them in a completely separate pen and keep them in it or let them out at different times. I think I want to add more LF though next year

My DD & SIL have a much nicer home than our little cottage - they contracted an outdoor stone patio in their center front yard and added patio furniture and it actually looks very nice. I wish I could let my hens in our front yard but it's not permitted -- otherwise I'd landscape it accordingly for their use.

Our resident chicken hawk is back every Spring thru early Summer to have her offspring but I don't mind because she gleans the neighborhood and highway landscape of mice, rats and excess wild birds/doves. After she's raised her offspring the rodent population sometimes returns and we have to put glue traps around at night to catch the critters she missed. She doesn't bother my hens but I know if I had baby chicks she or the crows would pick them off - so I only get older juvenile pullets and wait until they're 5 or 6 months old and at least as big as the adult hens before integrating them outdoors. BTW I didn't used to like crows but our crows are great at keeping the chicken hawk away yet the crows don't bother our adult hens.

I get one new pullet approx every 2 years because some breeds really drop off laying after their 2nd year and I like to keep at least one newer hen around for eggs while the older ones diminish production. I have a matriarch 4-1/2 y/o Silkie that only lays a couple dozen eggs every Spring and quits the rest of the year. I have a 3-1/2 y/o Silkie that is a much better layer thru-out the year, an Ameraucana that only gave us 3 eggs her 2nd year, and a new Breda pullet that just began laying this week. If we didn't add a new pullet this year we would've had a sad year for eggs.

My DD & SIL have a much nicer home than our little cottage - they contracted an outdoor stone patio in their center front yard and added patio furniture and it actually looks very nice.  I wish I could let my hens in our front yard but it's not permitted -- otherwise I'd landscape it accordingly for their use.

Our resident chicken hawk is back every Spring thru early Summer to have her offspring but I don't mind because she gleans the neighborhood and highway landscape of mice, rats and excess wild birds/doves.  After she's raised her offspring the rodent population sometimes returns and we have to put glue traps around at night to catch the critters she missed.  She doesn't bother my hens but I know if I had baby chicks she or the crows would pick them off - so I only get older juvenile pullets and wait until they're 5 or 6 months old and at least as big as the adult hens before integrating them outdoors.  BTW I didn't used to like crows but our crows are great at keeping the chicken hawk away yet the crows don't bother our adult hens.

I get one new pullet approx every 2 years because some breeds really drop off laying after their 2nd year and I like to keep at least one newer hen around for eggs while the older ones diminish production.  I have a matriarch 4-1/2 y/o Silkie that only lays a couple dozen eggs every Spring and quits the rest of the year.  I have a 3-1/2 y/o Silkie that is a much better layer thru-out the year, an Ameraucana that only gave us 3 eggs her 2nd year, and a new Breda pullet that just began laying this week.  If we didn't add a new pullet this year we would've had a sad year for eggs.

A patio does sound nice! And that's good she doesn't go after big chickens. :) I think ours must come back every spring too because I don't hear them in winter. Except she only just recently left. Unless they leave the babies to find their own way? Cause they migrate right? I'm not sure we could handle keeping them inside that long haha and yeah, crows can be annoying but recently I've also seen so many posts elsewhere and stories/articles about how intelligent they and other birds in the family (corvid, I know it includes ravens and I think jays but not sure what. Else. Crows and ravens are the smartest) so I've definitely come to like them now haha I'm not sure ours keep them away considering the hawks still come back but I've seen them chase them. Sometimes just one,often two or three, chasing the poor hawk all over the sky and making tons of noise LOL I think the hawks must go after their eggs or chicks or something. They sure keep them away though. Haven't seen it in a little while though.

But oh wow, that is getting slow! I should probably add one too when they get older but I'd probably get maybe two so they're not alone for integration. You've never had issues?

Awesome job...... Do yourself a favor coat the inside walls with a good coat of waterproof paint... before you do any "beautifying" on the ouside. Just to protect the walls inside.

deb
I'll second the suggestion to paint the inside.

After I built my coop (and before I got my chickens) a friend suggested the same thing to me. I took his advice, and am very happy I did.

If you don't have leftover paint from previous projects to use, you can go to Lowes/Home Depot/any-paint-store and buy up their mis-colored paints. (People who aren't happy with the color that got mixed up usually can return for a refund, and then the paint store is stuck with colors that nobody wants, so they sell them for CHEAP (like $5/gallon), and you shouldn't care what color you are putting on the inside of a chicken coop!)

Painting the inside is EASY. You don't have to care about drips, you can slop it on quickly and thickly -- even do two coats -- and really put a good seal on that raw wood. Multiple colors? Who cares! It's the seal that you are looking for, not the artistry of the work. The chickens certainly won't care. REALLY slather it on the floor. Poop won't soak in once that dries to a nice seal.

Just my 2-cents.

Quote:
I have in the planning stages a run to cover for flying predators... Its going to be 24 x 50 to start and i hope to add another 50 to make a strip the length of my horses corral. I would love to do arches... but I am afraid the span of 24 would be too much for the pvc... So i am thinking Steel cable run from the chicken coop to a tree on the other end of the yard... then maybe hanging the net from that on rings or carabeeners... Most of my chickens wont be allowed to free range here...

Quote:
YOu can also make up little A frame strucutres that will look like planter boxes. If it were me I would make them out of that plastic lath... Paint up some wooden flowers to put on for decoration. this way they will go in and two fold get some shade and hide from predators.

I loved my slikies and they were pretty hilarious.... Some dont see too well with all that fluff on their heads... I had large fowl roosters along with the silkey roos... The big birds spotted the flying predators and alerted the flock... But you could have bantam hens to go along with your silkeys... they will do the same thing. All of them have this sound they use with they spot a hawk...

deb

I added an outside daytime area under a tree for the chickens. It's the closest I can come to free ranging, for various reasons. Mainly because we have many kinds of hawks (saw a Cooper's dive bombing something in the yard behind me), and bald eagles. Year round. I lost a chick at one week to a very sneaky Cooper's hawk when I was 20' away, even though their little area was covered (there was a 10" gap that I didn't know about, but the hawk did).

As I only have 4 hens, a loss would be a 25% decrease, and I'm not currently in the mood to integrate new chickens, though I will have to down the road.
So, the coop and secure run are 6x10', with another area behind and next to the greenhouse netted over for daytime.

The run under the tree is the third area, connected to the coop via a chicken tunnel.
I have wide nylon straps around the tree (to minimize damage), to connect the coated wire to. There are 'turnbuckles' on the fence post end so that the wire can be tightened if needed. I used poultry netting over the top.
The sides are plastic deer netting. The posts are 'U' metal posts.
There are some grazing frames for the chickens inside this run.
This run extends along the fence to the right so they can forage for bugs in the bushes.

View of the greenhouse and coop, chicken tunnel is hard to see but runs in front of them.

Tunnel

Anyway, this might give someone ideas if they have some limitations for free ranging.

I added an outside daytime area under a tree for the chickens. It's the closest I can come to free ranging, for various reasons. Mainly because we have many kinds of hawks (saw a Cooper's dive bombing something in the yard behind me), and bald eagles. Year round. I lost a chick at one week to a very sneaky Cooper's hawk when I was 20' away, even though their little area was covered (there was a 10" gap that I didn't know about, but the hawk did).

As I only have 4 hens, a loss would be a 25% decrease, and I'm not currently in the mood to integrate new chickens, though I will have to down the road.
So, the coop and secure run are 6x10', with another area behind and next to the greenhouse netted over for daytime.

The run under the tree is the third area, connected to the coop via a chicken tunnel.
I have wide nylon straps around the tree (to minimize damage), to connect the coated wire to. There are 'turnbuckles' on the fence post end so that the wire can be tightened if needed. I used poultry netting over the top.
The sides are plastic deer netting. The posts are 'U' metal posts.
There are some grazing frames for the chickens inside this run.
This run extends along the fence to the right so they can forage for bugs in the bushes.

View of the greenhouse and coop, chicken tunnel is hard to see but runs in front of them.

Tunnel

Anyway, this might give someone ideas if they have some limitations for free ranging.

Oh so very nice....

Here is my free range area

Its High desert here while it does look sparse from this view there is a lot to eat on my eighteen acres... But I have had attacks IN my back yard by coyote, Bob Cat, Mountain lion, Hawks of all types mostly red tail, and owls There is a lot of cover in the chaparral and birds that can fly and who are more on the wild side do famously.

The white square is my horse shelter it is 24 x 24 for perspective. When I get the new poultry house built it too will be 24 x 24 and located half way between the house and the horse shelter right along the corral. Since there is already a stout fence for the corral I hope to use that as one wall of the run.and follow it all the way across the yard.

This is a position which will allow me to run water lines from the house down through the coop and on to the horse... At this point I have been watering solely with hoses... for twelve years. Time to fix that... I can afford to hire a worker to help me with the trenching and post setting. I need to have some fence posts set to do the job right.

I also want to do some roebust electrical out there. All water proof and rodent proof conduit. The corral needs a night time light I can turn on if people come through. possibly on a motion detector.

deb

My husband had built an A frame tin coop, with a wire mesh run about 4x9m for four chickens..... Then I came along.... Numerous chickens later we have built a skillion roof over the run, and will replace the A frame with something larger.
We seem to do most of the work on the run in spring times, so needless to say it's not finished yet. But it's a fun project on weekends together.
Here is a pic from last year when we started the roof.

You can see the new back corner we are currently working on, the tin and slats will go along the back. Replacing the front chicken wire with strong weld mesh. The old a frame will be replaced. The roof is so high as we have peacocks that come and go and they like being up high to roost.

Last edited:
This is a position which will allow me to run water lines from the house down through the coop and on to the horse... At this point I have been watering solely with hoses... for twelve years. Time to fix that... I can afford to hire a worker to help me with the trenching and post setting. I need to have some fence posts set to do the job right.

I also want to do some roebust electrical out there. All water proof and rodent proof conduit. The corral needs a night time light I can turn on if people come through. possibly on a motion detector.

deb

Oh, you will love having more accessible water, I'll bet!
What a wonderful set up (I've seen your plans for your coop
yesss.gif
). When do you think you will be able to start?

Back
Top Bottom