post your chicken coop pictures here!

SOMEBODY SAVE ME FROM STORMS!!!! I lost a young bird this morning to the flood waters that flashed through my area last night... :hit

I've got to get the new young chick coop built... Right after I found my young bird dead I heard the saddest little peeping coming from under a piece of wood overhang I put up for bad weather days and what do I find....

2 soaking wet, muddy day old chicks the momma hen hide from my daily searches. :love

I rushed them inside dried them off and set up my old brooder pin as fast as I could. Yes I would rather momma raise them but with 2 new roosters and tons of rain in the forecast I will once again become mommy bird lol

I also want to do some roebust electrical out there. All water proof and rodent proof conduit. The corral needs a night time light I can turn on if people come through. possibly on a motion detector.

deb

I buried 4-inch PVC out to my coop. In that I snaked 1-inch PVC electrical conduit, and through the smaller PVC is my outdoor-code wire to the coop. Most of this is under my vegetable garden, so I wanted it to be as damage-proof-as possible. If I ever need to run something else out there, I still have a ton of room on the 4-inch PVC to snake new stuff through.

If you're gonna dig, make it the last time you'll ever have to dig.
smile.png

I had to go out in a flood to rescue my 5 silkies. The others with feathers went inside before it got too bad.

The dumb silkies were huddled in a pile under a patio table with 6 inches of water about to wash them away. I had to duck walk under the table and then back out with the soaking wet white silkies. They looked like used snot rags. Lol

Of course when I was backing out I lost my balance and sat down in that cold muddy water. DH came out on the porch and there I am soaked and sitting there with a lap full of muddy chickens laughing like a lunatic.

I keep a closer eye on the weather now. Lol

Also may I suggest a raised coop?

I had to go out in a flood to rescue my 5 silkies. The others with feathers went inside before it got too bad.

The dumb silkies were huddled in a pile under a patio table with 6 inches of water about to wash them away. I had to duck walk under the table and then back out with the soaking wet white silkies. They looked like used snot rags. Lol

Of course when I was backing out I lost my balance and sat down in that cold muddy water. DH came out on the porch and there I am soaked and sitting there with a lap full of muddy chickens laughing like a lunatic.

I keep a closer eye on the weather now. Lol

Also may I suggest a raised coop?

At least you knew you had chicks... I DIDNT!!! I was disposing of the 1 month old that drowned when I heard the little peeps and saw movement. I thought I had lost another bird... Not gained 2 more lol

I've got a raised coop... Like yours my young birds hate going into it... The nest that hatched was hidden just deep enough that I didn't know it was even there...

Last edited:
we threw together this amazing coop with free materials from my room mates construction site. I added some legs to the nesting box to give it some lift off the ground to keep the ladies from pecking eggs. One of the walls opens up fully for easy access to cleaning and egg collecting! There is no floor, so I add a deep litter layer of mixed straw and fall leaves from my walnut tree.

Last edited:
we threw together this amazing coop with free materials from my room mates construction site. I added some legs to the nesting box to give it some lift off the ground to keep the ladies from pecking eggs. One of the walls opens up fully for easy access to cleaning and egg collecting! There is no floor, so I add a deep litter layer of mixed straw and fall leaves from my walnut tree.

That looks awesome!! Congrats.

YOu can also make up little A frame strucutres that will look like planter boxes.  If it were me I would make them out of that plastic lath... Paint up some wooden flowers to put on for decoration.  this way they will go in and two fold get some shade  and hide from predators.

I loved my slikies and they were pretty hilarious....  Some dont see too well with all that fluff on their heads...  I had large fowl roosters along with the silkey roos...  The big birds spotted the flying predators and alerted the flock...  But you could have bantam hens to go along with your silkeys... they will do the same thing.  All of them have this sound they use with they spot a hawk... 

deb

Sorry, I didn't notice a reply. :( but that A Frame thing does sound like a good idea. :)

And I think maybe eventually I could have silkies but maybe not for a little while aha

I love free/recycled! Great job!

Are your walnut trees the "black" or "English"? If the black I'd be concerned about the toxicity....probably ok if the English type.

Did you save the mama?

All my hens are safe but the momma keeps going back to rain filled, muddy area.. I'm working to secure her and try to reunite the babies in the morning...
The roosters didn't like the chicks in the coop and tried to attack them because momma wouldn't go in with them..

Back
Top Bottom