post your chicken coop pictures here!

u3y2y3uz.jpg

ypaqevyr.jpg

9ezy3utu.jpg

Just finished this up last night! Our first coop. Getting the hens next week. So excited! We'll see how it goes and hope not too many modifications are needed!

Sent from my SGH-I527M using Tapatalk

@ashirk Looks well built. One thing comes to mind though, from the pictures it looks like you're going to have to haul spent bedding through the human area, or did you put in a service door to the chicken part somewhere? (Don't you just hate it when someone gives you something to think about after it's already built?)

First you need location, location, location, I actually planned to build in a different more level spot but neighbor relations ruled the day and I moved to here because of my neighbor was not a fan. I plan to change that by being a good chicken neighbor. Wife and general foreman had two request about the chicken coop. 1. it can't be an eyesore 2. please try to match the style of the barn I'll do my best... First I set cement tubes for foundation then built and leveled 2x6 PT lumber It really is level and plumb I notched 6x6 posts and rested the frame in the notch I set the joist on a board on the far side clamped on the frame to assist as I was building alone Once all the Joists were set I began adding the 3/4 plywood upside down but I also used Joist hangers I went back and forth on standard stick walls or past and beam, in the end I built standard walls with nailers for the shiplap siding With help from a friend we built two Rafters and put them up... It looked good so i used those as a template and my kids built the rest of the rafters with a jig they made on the flor of the coop. They did that on their own, good thinking! Rachel and Jon Rafters R Us Thanks to Rob I got the rafters up. I tried alone but this really is not a solo job. We built a post and beam barn three years ago and used the leftover lumber for the roof saved some money and made a nicer roof than just plywood. Roof matched the pitch of the barn which was 12/12 so roof jacks required Roof board run wild until ready to shingle nice look of ceiling and barn in background I keep hearing ventilation is important so I installed a whirlybird vent by Lomanco on the back side of the coop. Next I had to get the kids to stain the shiplap siding. While I waited I ran electricity from the barn. 20 Amps on 10/2 about 140 ft just for lights and automatic chicken door. I used conduit and direct burial wire. Cheapest single hung window I could find. $98 each at home depot. 4 foot Hardware cloth buried down and flared out all around the coop. Finally the shiplap is ready to put up and it looks great. My Shiplap Stainers... Sikkens SRD Natural. Renee the General Foreman Touching up some end cuts. Wild roof boards trimmed ready for roof and trim. Slate colored architectural shingles from HDepot. Slightly blurry picture in the coop after the roof is on and the lights are installed. Automatic Chicken door, Once the run is built it will allow me to sleep in some... And thats important... Built a door between the man area and the chicken's area cover it with chicken wire. Inside the coop I used white fiber glass bathroom panels which are super tough and easy to clean and disinfect when necessary. I am planning on using the deep litter method so I put some on the walls as well. Two Roost levels both above nesting box height... First night the smallest chicken was the only roost dweller. I slanted the Nesting boxes slightly so the eggs roll back out of the way. If the box traffic is heavy hopefully we spare some eggs breaking. The tilt is adjustable as needed. the board on top is simply to discourage roosting. Large dowel perch in front to make it easier to go in. The workers getting ready to spread the inaugural litter of wood shavings. The chicken Fountain installed to run manually. later when the run is built I will hook it up outside with a continuos feed of fresh water. First look and the birds are happy. All ten of them. Lol I know they are spoiled. The final size of the coop is 10x12 with 10x4 area for me and the food etc. and 10x 7+ for the chickens. Louver Vents on both end as well as the whirlybird vent. I was going to build step but in the end found a large rock that was a perfect step up. I just need to build the run out the back but I have time because the spaciousness of the coop. I am looking forward to the deep litter composting and the of course the eggs. Not a cheap coop but well under what I would pay to have it built by someone or even ordering one much smaller online. great project, I had a ball. Not a builder so it took me a lot of head scratching to get it right. REMEMBER. lol MEASURE TWICE... CUT ONCE! with the 45 Angles this is very important lol Thanks for this site and all the ideas which made my coop a reality.
Thanks for this detailed step by step record of your coop build! A real family affair, and the end result shows how much love and cooperation and hard work you all put into it.

Very cute! How many hens are you planning on? I think your setup would be perfect for 4-5 hens....best of luck and let us know when you get your 'girls'!!!

Love your new coop...uh, I mean palace!! When I looked at this pic I have to admit I immediately stopped and really looked at it. Your upper roost is fairly close to the automatic door....poop falling from that height just might plop or splatter on your (expensive) auto door...eek! Have you considered using a 'poop tray' beneath your roosts? Sure will save a lot of work during cleanup time and if you were to use PDZ in the tray...it'll be a DREAM to clean and your coop will smell wonderful...just some thoughts/ideas....

u3y2y3uz.jpg

Just finished this up last night! Our first coop. Getting the hens next week. So excited! We'll see how it goes and hope not too many modifications are needed!

Sent from my SGH-I527M using Tapatalk
Looks like an ideal starter setup
clap.gif
Oh,
welcome-byc.gif
and the thread! I say starter because chicken math has a way of happening... Anyway, one comment: The roost is too narrow for adult birds. You really need something at least 3" wide that the birds can stand flat footed on. Their little toes are not meant to grasp a limb like a song bird. Perhaps a 2 x 4 laid on it's side (3.5" side up) and held in place by deck screws through the wall(s)? Good luck with your new chicks!
woot.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom