post your chicken coop pictures here!

Actually, you can apparently drive a truck over the solar panels we have, although I'm not sure that's a good idea again and again, lol
ep.gif

Solar panels aren't as efficient in temps >85f, so they might not work as well during the summer in that climate.

Yep, just got a 6.6 KW array put in. The solar guy said they are more efficient in cooler weather both because the panels suffer when they get hot and electricity flows better at cold temps. Since the panels are warranteed for 25 years and are the same no matter where they are sold, it is likely they will perform longer than 25 years in colder places.

Thank you! The teepee was something we thought up because we had some trees that had fallen down on the property and I wanted to build more shelter/shade for the chickens. We laugh because they actually use it a lot! Almost every time I check on them there are anywhere from 3-7 chickens huddled in there. We never dreamt it would be such a hit!

I'm not surprised at all! There is no other cover. My girls have 4 places they can usually be found when the sun is high:
  • Under the lilac bush by the front steps
  • Under the lilac bush by the back steps to the deck
  • Under the deck
  • Under a weasley "volunteer" tree next to the little barn. I keep wanting to take it out but the chickens really like the shade and predator cover. I like the teepee idea, maybe if I rip out the tree and make them a teepee, they will be happy
    smile.png

Yep, just got a 6.6 KW array put in. The solar guy said they are more efficient in cooler weather both because the panels suffer when they get hot and electricity flows better at cold temps. Since the panels are warranteed for 25 years and are the same no matter where they are sold, it is likely they will perform longer than 25 years in colder places.
I was just in Vermont in October. What an amazing number of solar panels in that state.
thumbsup.gif

Literally just took this picture. This is their set up right now. They are still coming in at night though to the garage (just 4 foot plywood pieces on one end and maybe 3? 4? Foot cardboard boxes on other wall, a little small now.) but I'm going to try to add the hardware cloth skirt and/or a roof today because like I mentioned the other is now a bit small and I have to clean it again even though I recently did so just easier if they stay out. Stresses them being caught 2 times a day too.

ANYWAY.

We just set up the dog kennel the other day and took the previous run off the coop which was rather small, only going just past the ramp.

The coop is a kit from TSC, we got it on black Friday. It's not going to be big enough for all of them (despite what dad and brother say) but will work for now OR will just but more kennel panels or cattle panels and make a massive run.

Anyway, they LOVE it once I get them outside. I added the logs today but no interest so far.

You can't see but I propped both the back run door and the back coop door open. The run door has been open since putting the dog kennel up so they can run and fly straight through without interruption but the coop door was just opened. They really never went in the coop part until yesterday when two did and even then it wasn't many. Now that the back door is open they all seem to like going in.

The ramp was steep so I put it on two bricks. May still be steep though and that could be why they don't go in that way much. They do hang out on the ramp though.

Anyway, they turned 7 weeks old yesterday and were in the house until 3 weeks when they moved out to the garage and will hopefully be moving outside permanently soon.

I'll get more pictures later.

They love all the room though and dust bathing. They love that.

Dog kennel panels are great as chicken runs because the only thing a chicken uses the coop for is to lay eggs or roost for the night. More run space is what they like to jump, to flap their wings, to fly to a log stump, or scratch for bugs and weeds. With that gorgeous wooded area you might consider boulders or cinder blocks or paver stones around the base of the kennel panels to keep out digging/burrowing night critters. Even in the city we have raccoons that are so darn smart -- they will kill chickens not for food but just for the thrill of the chase!!!

I made some changes per a suggestion someone made on this thread. We now have vinyl pvc lattice over the welded wire for extra safety. Just needs a coat of white paint.

very nice. In my mind I am already looking forward to building or buying a bigger coop. I would like a few more chickens. Shhh, Don't tell my hubby. Ha ha ha

Sorry I didn't reply, could have sworn I did :( anyway, thank you! A bigger cooop is always nice. :p I'll probably need one eventually. My dad says no more than 8 though. We'll see. LOL

Dog kennel panels are great as chicken runs because the only thing a chicken uses the coop for is to lay eggs or roost for the night.  More run space is what they like to jump, to flap their wings, to fly to a log stump, or scratch for bugs and weeds.  With that gorgeous wooded area you might consider boulders or cinder blocks or paver stones around the base of the kennel panels to keep out digging/burrowing night critters.  Even in the city we have raccoons that are so darn smart -- they will kill chickens not for food but just for the thrill of the chase!!!

Especially free ones! We had a neighbor years and years ago with a female yellow Lab that always came over and he had it.for her and was moving and asked if we wanted it so we said sure. Been scattered around the woods ever since, we even used the gate for a fort entrance at one point. :p so we just dug them out in February when I wanted chickens last time and.then this time dragged them all down the hill and assmembled. Well, we did have to buy new hardware cause it fell out of that bag but besides that, easy.

Anyway, I may buy more or cattle panels. I was going to use cattle panels but then we had this. But maybe I will add even more run space or even buy a few pieces of lumber and make an "official" run and this could be the coop. I don't know. I was worried the actual coop (blue) was too small when they grow up and might still be but I don't know. I've seen glimpses of the huddle box thing so maybe this could be similar.

But yeah, as for the woods and predators, we're definitely adding something. We unfortunately don't have cobble stones (we actually sold them to the neighbor over the summer haha) but do have tons.of bricks but I've heard those are too light so we are actually adding a skirt. I figure the chainlink will be good for most things but want to keep the stupid coons out. For now I've been tying the door shut. But we bought HC then got vinyl coated welded wire at the feed store and returned the other. He said it would last longer in the ground plus it's easier to work with. He said a lot of people use the chicken wire stuff and it's easier to work with, way cheaper to replace, etc. Etc. But I already knew that and decided long ago my bird's safety wasn't worth risking. Of course, I didn't tell him that because he was just a nice young guy and helped us a lot (even helped pick out new food for the dog. we rotate.) but still. and anyhow, originally was gonna go 1 foot out and 1 foot deep but dad says everyone says you can just put it under the sod and I believe it because I have seen people put it directly on top of grass so now I'm just doing the foot out part and trying to pull out the grass, which is a ***** with the **** roots. Haven't even gotten to the side next to the woods yet. Should be fun. :p and also doing 2 feet up on all sides so the coons don't rip their necks off. Not sure how to make it work with the door though so if anyone has any ideas...

But yeah, def securing it.

Oh and also adding a roof for hawk and climbing coon protection. ALSO. To keep them in. one has taken to flying onto the nest box. Even escaped today when landscapers go next to the run with the.loud scary stuff :p had to go catch her. Guess which breed THAT was... :p

But yeah.

Last edited:
I've used a mix of pine and northern white cedar shavings as coop bedding for years...the chicken perches are made of cedar "slabs" every spring I add about a foot of cedar saw chips to my chicken run...so they sit on it...dust in it...dig in it...and I have had no respiratory problems, foot issues or skin trouble...no mites, no lice, no ticks, few flies...it's not a fix all for coop cleanliness...good on going maintenance is a must to keep your birds happy and healthy...but the cedar hasn't harmed any of my birds. I only speak for myself!

Sorry I didn't reply, could have sworn I did
sad.png
anyway, thank you! A bigger cooop is always nice.
tongue.png
I'll probably need one eventually. My dad says no more than 8 though. We'll see. LOL
Especially free ones! We had a neighbor years and years ago with a female yellow Lab that always came over and he had it.for her and was moving and asked if we wanted it so we said sure. Been scattered around the woods ever since, we even used the gate for a fort entrance at one point.
tongue.png
so we just dug them out in February when I wanted chickens last time and.then this time dragged them all down the hill and assmembled. Well, we did have to buy new hardware cause it fell out of that bag but besides that, easy.

Anyway, I may buy more or cattle panels. I was going to use cattle panels but then we had this. But maybe I will add even more run space or even buy a few pieces of lumber and make an "official" run and this could be the coop. I don't know. I was worried the actual coop (blue) was too small when they grow up and might still be but I don't know. I've seen glimpses of the huddle box thing so maybe this could be similar.

But yeah, as for the woods and predators, we're definitely adding something. We unfortunately don't have cobble stones (we actually sold them to the neighbor over the summer haha) but do have tons.of bricks but I've heard those are too light so we are actually adding a skirt. I figure the chainlink will be good for most things but want to keep the stupid coons out. For now I've been tying the door shut. But we bought HC then got vinyl coated welded wire at the feed store and returned the other. He said it would last longer in the ground plus it's easier to work with. He said a lot of people use the chicken wire stuff and it's easier to work with, way cheaper to replace, etc. Etc. But I already knew that and decided long ago my bird's safety wasn't worth risking. Of course, I didn't tell him that because he was just a nice young guy and helped us a lot (even helped pick out new food for the dog. we rotate.) but still. and anyhow, originally was gonna go 1 foot out and 1 foot deep but dad says everyone says you can just put it under the sod and I believe it because I have seen people put it directly on top of grass so now I'm just doing the foot out part and trying to pull out the grass, which is a ***** with the **** roots. Haven't even gotten to the side next to the woods yet. Should be fun.
tongue.png
and also doing 2 feet up on all sides so the coons don't rip their necks off. Not sure how to make it work with the door though so if anyone has any ideas...

But yeah, def securing it.

Oh and also adding a roof for hawk and climbing coon protection. ALSO. To keep them in. one has taken to flying onto the nest box. Even escaped today when landscapers go next to the run with the.loud scary stuff
tongue.png
had to go catch her. Guess which breed THAT was...
tongue.png

But yeah.

Sounds like you have good security awareness. I've lived around chickens before so when DH decided to try chickens I wouldn't let him until the housing was all secure with a paver stone foundation with a bit of dirt floor and it was 6 months of preparation before we added our first two bantam Silkies with a White Leg added a month later. Even with advanced preparation we found the chickens needed more space than the little 4x6 coop run. Also a couple stray neighborhood dogs broke our fence gate and might've got our chickens through the flimsy chicken poultry wire if a good neighbor didn't chase them off for us. The mutts couldn't dig through the paver stones TG but they sure mangled the flimsy chicken wire (it keeps chickens in but doesn't keep predators out!!!). Now we have a much more secure coop made in the USA with heavy kennel panel run below it with another kennel addition for more run space. We free-range the hens in our small cottage backyard and some of our hens prefer the new coop enough to hang out in it more than the old one. We also tore down the old flimsy chainlink fence to replace with a new block wall and new iron gates. We're doubling gates on both entrances to the backyard just to be extra secure from the careless owners of stray dogs.

This is our first little 4x6 coop built by a customer at our local feed store. Old chainlink fence was covered with blue tarp until we finally built a block wall. The paver stones made a nice foundation to keep out digging critters and we left a patch of dirt floor in the center of the coop to keep it softer for chicken feet.

This is the same location as the above photo with a new concrete slab replacing the old paver stone foundation and we'll have a patio roof over it to keep sun and rain off the new Barn Coop. I don't care how well-built coops are they always seem to eventually leak, crack, warp, or get weak areas from weather elements so we decided to add a roof over the patio to help extend the coop's life. We always tarped the old coop and kept a pop-up canopy over it for protection -- it helped us stay stay dry when we collected eggs in the rain. The new block wall is visible in the background where the old tarped chainlink fence was.

Our new Barn Coop and we're glad we got the wheel package for all the moving we had to do during construction of the block wall.

This is some of the chaos we're living in during construction. The patio roof for the Barn Coop's final location isn't up yet so we're back to using tarps until construction is done. We've had rain every week! My raised garden bed is the only patch of dirt the chickens can have for now. Sigh !

Good Afternoon, Friends at BYC!

After eight very long, hot and tiring weekends, my coop and run are finally completed.

I lived on Staten Island, New York for 37 years, and moved to Ormond Beach, Florida in November 2013. Although I lived in a beautiful home there, I could not stand living in a snooty HOA with all of their rules and regulations- particularly those about keeping chickens, so four months ago, I moved to a five acre, fully fenced and gated, wooded property in Port Orange, Florida with my fiancé, Josh, and our two dogs, three cats, eleven Koi and “Elaine” and “Susie”, our two Red Star hens.
I have wanted to have pet chickens for almost 20 years- from the time I was watching an episode of a Martha Stewart TV show where she was holding a chicken in each arm! I was shocked that she was holding them, and they were so calm. I had no idea chickens could be “pets”.

So after twenty years in the making and tons and tons of reading and research, I bought two, one day old chicks from an ad on Craigslist. I am one of those overly thorough, “research something to the point of exhaustion” people, and so I decided on Red Stars for all of their great qualities. My girls are now 6 months old (hatched 6/4), and have been laying daily since they were 16 weeks. We have since added our white Peahen, “Ashley” (hatched 7/23), two Ideal 236 Leghorns, “Dolores” and “Sidra”, two Black Stars, “Sophie” and “Sue Ellen”, and two Black Stars, “Mrs. Choat” and “Estelle”, all hatched on 10/27 from Ideal Poultry. And last but not least, “Little Jerry”, the cutest little Serama Roo, hatched about four months ago from Sutton Farms in Deland, FL. Every one of them is as sweet as can be!

We are fortunate to have bought a property with many outbuildings, and the one I chose for my girls is brick veneered, wood framed with inner dimensions of 11’5”x13’3”.  It has its own electric panel and a gable vent. So we had a good starting point. I decided to build a work area in the run, to store supplies,  and to be able to access the feeding station, waterer and nest boxes without having to enter the actual coop. This area is 11’5”x4’, leaving me 11’5”x9’3” which is more than ample space for my nine girls, one roo and chicken math. I will eventually have running water too. I used Microsoft Visio, and this was my design:

Their run is 50’l x 12’w x 9’h. Still to be built is a person door which will be large enough to allow the UTV access (it has a dump bed which would be helpful to adding material to the run), and on the other end are barn style doors that allow the tractor access for a major cleaning. The sides were built as panels, some indoors to avoid the horrid Florida heat, and the rest were built “on site”. Each set of panels was built to 10’ tall, and were set as shallow as one foot under the ground up to three feet to accommodate the slight slope of the area. On our property we found a petrified pine that we placed inside of the coop, and will be adding a swing to the trunk which has been set in a three foot hole and wedged underneath one of the top supports. There is also a 12' long 1.5" PVC waterer with 16 nipples.

Both the coop and the run were built like Fort Knox- after being on this site for many months, I am well aware of the predator issues, and did not take any shortcuts on security regardless of whether or not we even have any predators at all. Eventually, I may add screen on the inside of the run (behind the ½”hardware mesh) to keep out flies and mosquitoes.

I wanted to do this once, and do it right, and give them the best life I could possibly give them. After all, they give me yummy eggs and lots of entertainment too! Oh, and the color of the inside is painted “Soft Boiled” by Behr, and the exterior, when I find time to paint it, will be “Sunny Side Up”, also by Behr.

And, for the record, my wonderful fiancé and I are not trained professionals in any way. We are Do-it-yourselfers with lots of ideas and motivation. Anyone can do this!

Thank you for reading!
Danielle

The cost:

The coop:

The Run:

The crew: (Elaine and Susie in chronological order)

The Second Crew: (Ashley, Dolores, Sidra, Sophie, Sue Ellen, Mrs. Choat and Estelle in chronological order)

And last but not least: (Little Jerry)

Back
Top Bottom