post your chicken coop pictures here!

Quote: On hot summer days, I had my DH make this hardware cloth pop door, which I can lock down on the inside to keep critters out, but let a breeze through.
If you see on top of the door, there is a piece of wood contraption my husband made, I slip that into place, then turn the 2 wooden blocks so they are over the wood keeping the door from being lifted. It maybe over kill as I have a secure hard ware clothe run, but, I've done all I can to keep predators away from my girls. It is coop knox. lol, if you want to see the whole thing, click on coop under my avatar.

Last edited:
We would eventually like to plant some pots of sunflowers and other pretty plants around this coop, but here it is right now.

Still a work in progress.  We just built this over the past month.

farm054.jpg
Cool chicken coop.

Pics!
smile.png
I liked your chicken house....I know your chickens did too.
smile.png
last year the same thing happened to me. We put a tarp up over the run hoping it would be a temporary fix...oh, for a few weeks or so at least. It lasted 3 days.
hmm.png
a storm came along and ripped it in half. We were scrambling for a way to cover the run. We have eventually roofed it but I just wanted to say look into shade cloths....my duck run has a shade cloth and wind and water go right through it. It has been up for 7 months now with no problems. Except for the last heavy wet snow we had....that collected in it pretty badly and had to be shaken out. It provides decent shade for the ducks and they don't care about the rain. LOL
A tarp will not support itself when filled with rain or snow, especially if it has been exposed to the elements for a while. I have a tarp over my run, but it is laying on top of 2x4 wire that is securely fastened to the walls and rafters of the run. Yes, I do still get some pooling but the wire is strong enough to support the extra weight*. I do plan in the future to replace the tarp with corrugated to prevent this, as the tarp doesn't just give shelter to the chickens, it also collects that water for them to drink.

* (we have never gotten more than 6" of snow, I doubt it would support a heavy snowfall like you yankees get).

Last edited:
A tarp will not support itself when filled with rain or snow, especially if it has been exposed to the elements for a while. I have a tarp over my run, but it is laying on top of 2x4 wire that is securely fastened to the walls and rafters of the run. Yes, I do still get some pooling but the wire is strong enough to support the extra weight*. I do plan in the future to replace the tarp with corrugated to prevent this, as the tarp doesn't just give shelter to the chickens, it also collects that water for them to drink.

* (we have never gotten more than 6" of snow, I doubt it would support a heavy snowfall like you yankees get).

I had a tarp over our run also, I screwed PVC tubing to the outside edge's which made a arch then put the tarp over that so the water/snow would not lay om it.
I now have installed a permanent metal roof over the run.

here is a before and after picture

I had a tarp over our run also, I screwed PVC tubing to the outside edge's which made a arch then put the tarp over that so the water/snow would not lay om it.
I now have installed a permanent metal roof over the run.

here is a before and after picture

Both are good fixes! Do your hens get any time to range outside the run?

Pics!
smile.png
I liked your chicken house....I know your chickens did too.
smile.png
last year the same thing happened to me. We put a tarp up over the run hoping it would be a temporary fix...oh, for a few weeks or so at least. It lasted 3 days.
hmm.png
a storm came along and ripped it in half. We were scrambling for a way to cover the run. We have eventually roofed it but I just wanted to say look into shade cloths....my duck run has a shade cloth and wind and water go right through it. It has been up for 7 months now with no problems. Except for the last heavy wet snow we had....that collected in it pretty badly and had to be shaken out. It provides decent shade for the ducks and they don't care about the rain. LOL

How it was:

Love these latches that my father in law came up with...

How it is now without the tarp..

A few of the younger ones checking out the new perch post.

Finally put in one of our feed tubes. There is enough room for two if needed. We designed the spacing to allow for the extra one. This one 5' tube usually lasts a week or so with the 4 older hens. Will see how it does with the younger ones added to the mix.

I am working on a 5 gallon automatic waterer currently. We had a trial run on Saturday and it leaked everywhere. Sealing the water nipples with some rtv silicone and the fitting at the bucket as well. Hope to test it out later this week. It will be in the back corner by the fence, extending out along the wire fence. Was originally designed based on the layout of the previous run, so I have made some adjustments to fit this set up.

So the area where the tarp was will get a corrugated clear plastic cover. With all of our rain, it will help keep the water out when we open the big doors on the coop... and who doesnt like a dry area for checking on the chickens.

After recently losing almost my entire flock, I took the opportunity to spruce up my old coop. We power washed, new roof, new paint, tilled the immediate yard, seeded for grass and set new pavers. The new chicks are enjoying our warm spring.

Back
Top Bottom