post your chicken coop pictures here!

Just finished building a chicken tractor for our 6 new hens (4 easter eggers and 2 barred rocks). Didn't follow a plan, but definitely was inspired by many videos on YouTube. The run is 44 sq ft and the coop floor is 18 sq ft not including the two nesting boxes. I added doors all over this thing, with a big 2'x4' trap door on top of run as well as a 2'x2' door on side of run. Big main door to the coop allows easy access and we also have a door to access just the boxes and another door to access feeder and waterer system. Have a trapdoor in floor of coop with a gang plank I can lift at night. The wheels are purchased from Egg Cart'n and come with a dolly on wheels. This thing is super heavy, so I appreciate how extra built out the wheel kit is. I also insulated the walls and the "attic" and made sure to give them a lot of ventilation. The girls have been out for three days/nights now and are loving it!
IMG_2448.jpg
IMG_2534.jpg
IMG_2537.jpg
IMG_2538.jpg
IMG_2448.jpg
IMG_2534.jpg
IMG_2537.jpg
IMG_2538.jpg
IMG_2539.jpg
IMG_2540.jpg
IMG_2606.jpg
IMG_2607.jpg
IMG_2611.jpg

Just finished building a chicken tractor for our 6 new hens (4 easter eggers and 2 barred rocks). Didn't follow a plan, but definitely was inspired by many videos on YouTube. The run is 44 sq ft and the coop floor is 18 sq ft not including the two nesting boxes. I added doors all over this thing, with a big 2'x4' trap door on top of run as well as a 2'x2' door on side of run. Big main door to the coop allows easy access and we also have a door to access just the boxes and another door to access feeder and waterer system. Have a trapdoor in floor of coop with a gang plank I can lift at night. The wheels are purchased from Egg Cart'n and come with a dolly on wheels. This thing is super heavy, so I appreciate how extra built out the wheel kit is. I also insulated the walls and the "attic" and made sure to give them a lot of ventilation. The girls have been out for three days/nights now and are loving it!
Love that Wheel kit.... :pop

thanks, good at 1/2 price but the shipping is almost $20 for me.. I have to think about it

$20 isn't bad for shipping from CA to IL. It's a large 2-gallon jug kit. However, you can just purchase the Brite Tap nipple valve attachment separately (which is much smaller to ship) and buy the Rubbermaid 2-gal jug within your own home state. The assembly is easy. Brite Tap has some online videos for assembly instructions plus Mark at chickenwaterers.com helped me transition my hens from water bowls to using the nipple valves. I'm lazy so I just purchased three complete Brite Tap kits, Rubbermaid jugs, and Sun Covers from Brite Tap so I didn't have to fumble building homemade waterers from scratch.

I'm lazy so I just purchased three complete Brite Tap kits, Rubbermaid jugs, and Sun Covers from Brite Tap so I didn't have to fumble building homemade waterers from scratch.

yeah I am lazy too LOL ..I went ahead and bought the set up w/sun covers... I am sure I will have to pull it in the winter, but I have less birds then anyway.. Thanks again

yeah I am lazy too LOL ..I went ahead and bought the set up w/sun covers... I am sure I will have to pull it in the winter, but I have less birds then anyway.. Thanks again

I think you'll find the Brite Tap assembly is easy compared to using water bowls. The wild birds can't access the nipples and the cleanliness of the drinking water is so worth it. I've gone three weeks in winter without having to clean out the jug and then it was minimal cleaning. No algae even in our hottest heatwaves! I just use a low dilution of bleach water to run through the jug and rinse it out well a couple of times before setting out again. The Sun Cover is tricky to wrap around the Brite Tap but our weather is brutally hot in SoCal so I take advantage of the cover it provides. I keep the insulated jugs in shade all day but even in 100 degree temps we still add giant ice cubes to the water and our Silkies will take "showers" under the nipple valves working the cold water into their chests. Chickens like to stand in water bowls and messes up drinking water so having the nipple valves instead where chickens can take showers keeps the water clean. Mark at chickenwaterers.com was very helpful with all my email questions. Hope you find the Brite Tap as easy to use as we did.

@Mad Catter -- absolutely love the shed conversion! Wish I were handy like you to do those wonderful modifications!

Two things I'd need to modify if it were mine -- a wider ramp leading up to the perches and platforms and add perches in front of the nestboxes. I have Silkies that are nervous about climbing since they can't fly so a wider platform gives them security. I found 3" apart cleats better than 4" apart cleats for the littler chickens to grab hold on their climb up or down the ramp.

Noticed your BR hen using the bottom nestbox probably because it was easier to jump into the bottom. You may find the top row of nestboxes going unused without a perch or platform in front of the second row of nests. It's hard for a chicken to fly into the top row of nests without a landing perch or platform. I had an 8" platform in front of our old nestbox coop and even the Silkies could jump up from the floor onto the platform before entering a nestbox and they never had to use the ramp.

Really do love your shed. Should give you years of service!

DSCN2903.JPG
DSCN2904.JPG

Back
Top Bottom